Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I record books for the blind. I have an iMac. The fan seems…

Customer Question
I record books for...

I record books for the blind. I have an iMac. The fan seems to be running almost all of the time and when I record a book the mike picks up the sound of the fan running. It is a problem. Is there any way I can temporarily turn off the fan?

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iMac?

High Sierra, 10.13.2

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your iMac? What have you tried so far?

Well, I shut down the iMac and let it cool off for quite awhile and then tried it again, but the fan started up right away. I even put some ice packs over the top of the iMac, but that didn't do any good. Someone suggested that the vent might be clogged up and to try blowing it out with compressed air, but I have not tried that.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mac
12/17/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 8 months ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

First, reset the System Management Controller of your Mac. Follow the steps below;

Shut down the computer.

Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if not already connected.

On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.

Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.

Press the power button to turn on the computer.

If that didn't work, then reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac. Follow the steps below;

Shut down your Mac

Restart and immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R keys at the same time

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for two or three times.

Release the keys and let the Mac bootup.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

I am using a Windows keyboard, so you need to talk in those terms. The keyboard has "shift" and "Ctrl" keys, but no "Option" key. There is a key to the right of the Ctrl key that has no label except an icon of four squares bunched together. Perhaps that is the option key. How do I access what you call "the MagSafe power adapter"? Am I supposed to magically have such thing that I can "plug in?" What is our goal here? My goal is to reduce or eliminate the fan noise. Is that what your proposed solution is supposed to do?

Sorry for the delay.

Option key is the alt key

Command key is the Windows key

Please do the following steps to make the fan silent if it is going at abnormal rate.

First reset the System Management Controller of your Mac. Follow the steps below;

Shut down the computer.
Unplug the power cord and also disconnect all other devices.
Wait 20 seconds.
Attach the power cord.
Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

Then Reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac. Follow the steps below;

Shut down your Mac

Release the keys and let the Mac boot up.

I successfully followed the steps you outlined. After the Mac booted up the fan was running right away and continues to run now. I assume that the fan has to run some of the time to keep the Mac from overheating. But I suspect that your solution hasn’t done any good. Comment?

The SMC will only if the fan run at abnormal speed. Was the fan running at same speed or pace since you purchased it ?

And note, it is not safe to reduce the fan speed as it overheats the processor and may cause potential damage.

You did not help at all. Do not contact me any further.