Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Can I back out an upgrade to Excel without losing files? OS…

Can I back out...

Can I back out an upgrade to Excel without losing files?

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your computer or device?

OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 on a 2009 Mac Book Pro

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update your Excel?

About a week ago

Still working my problem??
12/17/2017
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Sorry for the delay. Our experts were offline when you posted the question.

Yes, if you upgrade Excel or doesn't agree to upgrade at all or even deleted the Excel application itself, you will not lose any of your Excel documents. But you may need to upgrade Excel in the future to open your Excel files but again, this will not delete any of your files.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

I want to know how to go backwards from the current version I have of Excel to the one I had previously. I currently at 15.41 but it is too sophisticated for my OS.

That is Excel 2016

What version of Excel were you using ?

And when did you upgrade to Excel 2016 ?

I switched less than a week ago. I don't know what version I had but it was not icloud-connected.

The old Excel should still be in the Applications folder. Open Applications folder and do you see Office 2011 folder or Excel 2011 there ?

I see the new Excel in the Applications folder but not the old Excel.

Click on the Spotlight icon at top right (maginifier icon) and type in Excel.

This will show old version and new version unless old version is deleted

It shows only Excel 15.41. I way I got to this version is from a pop-up box that asked if I wanted to upgraade to the next version and I agreed. When the change was finished I had an Excel with all my files but one that I can only View.

I'm afraid the old Excel is somehow deleted. What about Word and Power Point? Are they upgraded as well ?

Powerpoint is 2008, but Word seems to have upgraded because I tried to open it and it is asking me for a password ***** my information stored in MS identity xxxxxxxxx(very long code) in my keychain.
that has never happened before when I opened Word.
Okay, let's say I have to use the new Excel. How do I get it to allow me to make and save changes, to print, etc?

Sorry for the delay. The new Excel does allow you to save changes.Isn't it ?

If not, that means you didn't buy it and activate it.

You need to Office 2016 for either $148 or for $7 or $10 a month(for 15 licences)

When I try to Activate it, I get an error message that says "The Apple ID you entered couldn't be found or your password ***** incorrect. Please try again." I have already talked to Apple and there is nothing wrong with my ID or password. We changed to a new password ***** tested it and it was fine. But when I try to use it to Activate Excel, I get the error message and can't go any further.

Actually, you need the Microsoft ID to activate it not Apple ID. You can create a Microsoft ID from here --> https://account.microsoft.com/account

OK, I changed my MS account password. Now what do I do?
The message when I try to Activate says "Sign in to download from the App Store. If you have an Apple ID, sign in with it here. ..." and then I get that error message I sent to you a couple of transmissions ago.
It is asking for the Apple ID, though I did just change my MS password, but I don't see where I would use it. I am trying to sign up for the $7 monthly service but can't.

Sorry for the delay. Buy and download Office 2016 from here directly --> https://products.office.com/en-us/mac/microsoft-office-for-mac

OK, I bought Office 365 via order number(###) ###-####. Now should I try to Activate it once more (Excel)?

Yes

I just did but after I enter my MS ID and password ***** says The authentication session has expired. Please sign-in again. So I quit Excel and opened it again and got the same message. Do I need to reboot my laptop??

No, but lets reinstall Office 2016. After buying it, did you get a Office 2016 download option ?

but if I reinstall, will I keep my old Excel files? And, about how long should it take to reinstall? Thanks.

Yes, all your Excel files are whether you uninstall or reinstall Office or Excel. Only the Excel application itself will be removed and reinstalled. All your documents will be safe

How long should the reinstall take, approximately?

Depend up on the speed of your internet to download the file and speed of Mac to install it.

If you have a decent internet, then it may take less than 30 minutes and another 30 minutes to install max

OK, I will try it but can't stay much longer at my laptop right now. I could start it, but will it need me to intervene once it gets started?

Yes. But we can continue later. This question will not be closed.

It seems like somehow the licences got corrupted and that is why you are having difficulty in activating it.

OK, I will try to reinstall now. I'll be back later. Thank you.
I realize I do not know how to Reinstall. What do I do?
Never mind. I have my receipt for buying Office and it is giving me the option to Install. I have started that process. I will try to stay with this a little longer.

Ok, I will be back in 10 minutes

I successfully installed Office 365 Personal. I activated Excel and can print, make and save changes, etc. I have also opened the new Word successfully. I think I am finally finished. Thank you. I will be back later to see if you have any final messages.

Glad to hear that! BTW You will be able to install Office 365 on your other PCs, Smartphone and tablets with your licence and also sync your documents between them over Internet. You probably also received OneDrive cloud drive with some storage

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Excellent Service or 5 stars and click Submit at the top. Then only I will get credit for helping you.

Best Regards,

I will keep this open for a while yet, just to make sure other problems don't arise, but then I will close it and give you a good rating. Thank you.

No problem. Have a good day !

Hi there, How is it going ?

Ashik, Mac Technician
Ashik, Mac Technician