Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have a "dead" flash drive which all of my important

Hi! I have a...

Hi! I have a "dead" flash drive which all of my important documents were on. All documents were in Word or Excel. I see those documents in my recent files. Is there any way to recover those documents from Word and Excel?

Technician's Assistant: Are there any lights on your Drive when you try charging it? Does the screen change at all?

I see the light on the flash drive, but the computer doesn't recognize it. I have tried EVERYTHING to get it to recognize it and nothing happens

Technician's Assistant: Has there been any damage to your GPS recently?

No! The craziest thing is that it worked great up until Monday. It sits on my desk. I plugged it on Tuesday and nothing happened. I've been trying for 3 days to save it and am having no luck

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the GPS Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of. I can see all of my previous recent documents in Word and Excel and just want to know if I can save them another way other than using the flash drive that they were saved on

Answered in 1 minute by:
12/15/2017
Richard, Apple Software Engineer

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

In word and excel it is only links to the files, not the files themselves, these are on the flash drive.

But I may be able to recover it from the drive for you.

Does it still show on the computer? Or it does not show at all anymore?

The files do show on the computer, in the File Explorer folder under Recent Documents

Ok, these are just links to the files, like a shortcut, it is not the file itself.

The drive though, does this show on the computer?

Is that $39 to remotely get into my computer in addition to the $32 and $5 charge I already read about?
No, the drive does not show on the computer at all. It should be the G folder

yes it is an additional optional cost.

Can you connect the drive to a different USB port on the computer

Click on This PC in File Manager and tell me what you see under devices and drives please

Thanks, I'm still not sure this will work so I don't want to keep paying more money to still not recover files. Thanks.I have connected the USB to all 3 ports on my computer plus tried different computers. Same issue.Under This PC, I see: 3D objects, Desktop, Documents, Download, Music, Pictures, Videos, Local Disk (C) and Recovery (d).

Thank you

Is this windows 10?

When the USB is working properly, it shows up under Recovery as (Removable Disk (G))
it is a Windows 10

Is this windows 10?

it's Windows 10

Thanks

Right click the start button and go to Disk Management

Do you see the disk there?

Nothing, I don't see it there either

ok, the drive has crashed and you wont be able to directly get data from it.

What you can do is send it into a company that can dismantle it and scan the data from it with special equipment.

the drive wont work but you will get most of the data from it.

You can call them on(###) ###-#### to get a pricing for this.

But the items you see in Word, Excel, Recent ect are all shortcuts to the files, but as the hard drive cannot be access the shortcuts do not work.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

and thank you for allowing me to help you today. My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

It's not listed anywhere. When I plug the flash drive in, the light comes on and makes the sound so something happened.

ok you may have missed my message

the drive has crashed and you wont be able to directly get data from it.

You can call them on(###) ###-####to get a pricing for this.

Got it, thanks Richard, I appreciate your help. I will give them a call to see what the cost might be. I appreciate your help

You are welcome and please remember the service rating via one of the stars at the top then submit else I am not credited

Thank you

Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Richard, Apple Software Engineer