Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

We had a power surge this morning that lasted literally a…

Customer Question
We had a power...

We had a power surge this morning that lasted literally a second. when I went to work my mac is black as if it was turned off. trying turning it on. no effect.

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a PRAM reset on your Mac (rebooting and holding down Command, Option, P, and R)? Or rebooting in Recovery Mode (holding down Command and R)?

Command option p and r does nothing when I press power button

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Command R does nothing either

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Mac
12/15/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Justin Johnson, Mac Genius replied 5 months ago
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius

Hi! I am Justin. Let me take a chance to look over your question. If you have any additional details please type it in and hit the reply to expert button.

Have you tried another outlet?

If you have any follow-up questions, don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service.

we have a battery backup that it is plugged into along with another imac. I've verified there is power. I did get it to come up a little while ago, no chimes, it let me sign in, then went black again before it got to the desktop
it did the same
i unplugged it for like the 10th time, and it restarted i held down the cmd opt P R but not sure if I did it time. but it came up and is not at the desktop. should i assume everything is ok now? do I need to do anything to prevent this from . . . crap. just went black again
hello any ideas

The PRAM reset can be tricky. I would suggest trying it again. You should get chimes out of your computer.

ok, i pulled the plug out, waited 15 sec. then it rebooted, no chimes while i'm holding opt cmd p r. apple logo came up. the progress bar (I'm still holding the opt cmd p r) and still no chimes. then it all went black again.

The chimes come before the loading bar. Is your keyboard wireless. If it is do you have a wired keyboard you can plug into it?

pulled plug out, rebooted while holding opt cmd p r, it came up, let me login, i went to sys preferences and then it turned black. i had no chimes at any time.
yeah the chimes are not happening. it is wireless keyboard, wireless is all I have. but I do have a spared wired mouse if that helps. this last time i got all the way in doing shift control option. but it eventually went black again.

We are going to need a wired keyboard to proceed. Do you have a friend who could loan theirs for a bit to repair your computer?

ok getting one
in just a few minutes. what do i need to do after I plug it in?

Restart and try the PRAM reset again.

ok plugged in keyboard (screen is black). then I unplugged it from back, waited 15 sec+. Then plugged it in, the screen glowed kinda blueish, and I was holding down option cmd P R. and then screen went black.

Once it is powered off entirely hit the power button and immediately hit COMMAND + OPTION + P + R

i got a chime

YAY!!!!

but 1 chime and the screen is black

Lets give it another go. This time let go of the keys after the chime and then press them again on second boot.

ok got 1 chime and apple icon start of progress bar, i let go of pram keys when the first chime sounded. but then it went black.

Did it start up again?

got 1 chime, apple icon, i let go of pram keys when chime sounded, thenit went black.
oh got a 2nd chime
now got a login screen. . .had 2 chimes in all

YES!!!

Were you able to login?

no went black

Shoot. Boot holding the option button this time and let me know the result.

came up with choose network on a black screen, then asked for network password
then got apple icon . . . and then went black.LOL

I think this power surge did a number on your computer. Especially because your hard drive should have showed up with the option button. I think your drive is toast. Do you know of an Apple Repair shop near by?

well the hard drive did show up, had an arrow under it but I coudnt 'select the arrow

Lets try it again.

plugged in wired mouse, this time did the network, password, and chose hard drive, let me login, screen black
I have actually gotten in a couple times and could see the desktop and even closed a couple programs, but then it goes black.

It sounds like either a back light going bad or graphics card failing. Do you have a flashlight to check the screen. Like your iPhone if you have one.

i got a flashlight. when do I do it? when it is black screen and shut off?

Just after the screen goes blank.

Check the screen to see if there is still an image there.

ok did the plug, option, choose harddrive, network, password. login screen looks normal, logged in, got into Onyx and did a drive check and it said drive was ok, now trying to repair permissions. . .
repair permissions finished

Is it still working?

that finished too.this is longest it has stayed up.
$%^@#! went to system pref and it went black, don't see any image in the screen, just like would normally be with power off
looked with flashlight

It has to be something fried on the Logic Board. I would suggest taking it to an AASP. At least we got this far, right?

we have an apple store, i guess i can take it there. what shoudl I tell them . . logic board problem?

I would say you have an intermittent power issue. It could be a bad power supply. that would actually be best case.

Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius