Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

All of a sudden my computer won't let me open any of my

Customer Question
All of a sudden...

All of a sudden my computer won't let me open any of my files. It gives me the message "The document “Nametag” couldn’t be opened"

Technician's Assistant: What kind of Apple device do you have? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Desktop, OS X Yosemite

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Apple device? What have you tried so far?

Just this week. I've looked at everything I can think of. (System Preferences)

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

That's it.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Mac
12/14/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Bryan, Computer Support Specialist replied 5 months ago
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist

Hello, and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you today.

Please do this now:

Go into System Preferences > iCloud. Uncheck "iCloud Drive" first, then select "Delete From Mac" on the subsequent dialog that shows up. Then, wait a few seconds and re-check "iCloud Drive" again.

Do your files open up all right now? Do keep me posted below; I'll stand by. Thank you,

No. when I select iCloud I'm not given the option to uncheck iCloud box.
24 hours? Am I supposed to sit here and watch for an answer?

Please accept my apologies for the delay; I was locked out from responding back because you had opted me out by mistake earlier. Now, could you click on the Apple icon at the top-left corner and then restart your Mac once and check if this makes any difference to your issue with opening files/documents?

Keep me posted; thanks.

Just working on a document. Will need another 5 minutes since I haven't been able to save and re-open.

No issues; please take your time and keep me posted through your emails.

Nope. Still can't open files.

Sorry, we keep missing each other's replies on here for some reason. Let me open up your question to our other experts who will be able to assist further; you will be automatically notified by email when another expert picks this up. Thank you,

Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 5 months ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

I am curious on this issue. First, the document files you are trying to open, do they still have an icon that looks like paper, or is it some generic icon. Also, if the file just has a name for the file for example a document just called TEST then try to rename the file to TEST.doc. So to your document you can use the same name but just make sure to add the .doc part. Then try and re-open the document and see what happens. Let me know

Tried that. I use an iMac so the default is .pages I usually convert those to .doc so others can read them. I can't open either type.

OK. Do you think I can remote into your mac and take a look? It could be that you may need to reinstall the OS which is last resort but doesn't loose your data as apple has a recovery mode to do this in. Don't worry about that right now, I just wanted to let you know there is always another option. Let me know if I can remote it and take a look.

Thanks.

I'll think about it for a while.
I'll keep trying things here. No thank you.

Then you can try and create a new user acount on your mac or if you already have another user account on your mac try and sign in with it and see if the same thing happens. If everything works in the new user account then you know it's something within your user account profile only and therefore would need to reinstall Microsoft Office and keynote. If the same issue happens in a different user account profile on your mac then you can try and reinstall your os by doing the following:

1. Restart your mac
  2. immediately hold down command and R on your keyboard
  3. If done correctly you should get to a main menu
  4. choose "reinstall OS" - don't worry, this does not erase your files/data it just reinstalls the system files and folders.
  5. follow the onscreen instructions which is basically next, next, next
I'll do that tomorrow. Thanks.

Your welcome.

Did you still need help? Were you able to try the instructions I previously posted for you? If all is good, please still consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

I'll get back to you tomorrow.
Jon
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast