Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Replaced batteries in my iMac keyboard it comes on ok but my…

Customer Question
Replaced batteries in my...

Replaced batteries in my iMac keyboard it comes on ok but my space key and delete key no longer work, were fine prior to changing batteries!!

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iMac?

Sierra 10.12.6

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your iMac? What have you tried so far?

As I said the keyboard was working perfectly until I put in new batteries yesterday. Powered off, put in different batteries, did a keyboard reset...

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Can't think of anything

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Mac
12/14/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Richard, Apple Software Engineer replied 2 months ago
Richard, Apple Software Engineer

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Can you tell me how you did the keyboard reset please?

I followed the instructions on the website, can't remember the details now

Shut down your Mac.

Find Command (⌘), Option, P, and R on your keyboard.

Turn on your Mac.

Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.

Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.

Release the keys.

Then when it starts, tell me how the keyboard works please

Can you tell me please what to do?

I just did.... what are you referring to?

I don't have unlimited funds if you can tell me a sequence of commands or whatever it will save me $39 please.

I have sent you this.... so I am not sure what you mean as I just stated.

I will again repeat the instructions but I kindly ask you carefully read my messages please to avoid me retyping out instructions.

Shut down your Mac.Find Command (⌘), Option, P, and R on your keyboard.Turn on your Mac.Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.Release the keys.Then when it starts, tell me how the keyboard works please
Mac OS Utilities came up

ok, you missed using all 4 keys on the keyboard.

Please repeat the instructions and make sure all 4 keys are being held

ok

Thank you

Same status, keyboard works but no delete or space key working

Power off the mac

Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window

choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.

Click the First Aid tab.

Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").

Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.

I guess I have to stop some people don't understand what it means to not have lots of $$ sorry to bother you

I am not sure what you are referring to, I just wrote out a whole list of instructions for you to do.... Will you do the instructions?

I have done the instructions, the option for remote assistance for $39 more $$ keeps popping up, perhaps you are not initiating that? I heard the restart twice so I know i did it correctly. what else do you suggest.

I will again repeat the instructions as you keep missing these or not respond to them.. If you look up on this web page you will also see I sent these before.

Power off the mac

Click the First Aid tab.

OK now I see the last half of your message above for the first time. Let me start again It is going to the utilities window
It is asking if I want to run First Aid is that what I want? I have selected the HD
I don't see a REPAIR option

You need to scroll up the page to see all the answers... Please do this.

I did exactly as it states, I see no option that says REPAIR, above are disc utility tabs First Aid/Partition/Erase/Restore/Unmount & Info

yes, click First Aid

Again, to be sure when I select First Aid tab it says First Aid will check the volume for errors, there is no word visible that says REPAIR

yes, that is correct, let it check for errors please

Everything OK operation successful

ok, now restart and tell me please if the keyboard works.

No change no delete or space
I have to go my mom is in the hospital, I had no idea this would take so long, any further thoughts send them on please. Thank you and merry Christmas. I will leave the page open.

No problem, when you return go to System Preferences > Keyboard and re-identify the keyboard.

Then try the keys please

Will do, thank you again for your assistance

You are welcome and thank you for allowing me to help you today. My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Richard, Apple Software Engineer