Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My Mack desktop mouse arrow won't track. It stuck in the…

Customer Question
My Mack desktop mouse...

My Mack desktop mouse arrow won't track. It stuck in the upper left corner of the. Screen. I put in new batteries, but still won't work.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand, model, and Operating System (OS) of your computer?

That info is noware to be found on the equipment. It's an APple MAc 29 inches X 14 inches with separate keyboard and mouse. Can you tell me how to use the keyboard to get the info?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mac
12/12/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Russell H., Long-time Computer Expert replied 4 months ago
Russell H., Long-time Computer Expert

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
I advise you first, to shut down the Mac computer.

Unplug it from the power.

Unplug the mouse 'transmitter' dongle - a little USB plugin, perhaps - from the computer's USB ports.

Leave that way for at least 10 minutes.

Plug in the mouse transmitter - it's a wireless mouse so it has to have one - into a USB port on the computer - it doesn't have to be the same one.

Then plug in the computer to the power too. Turn it On, let it boot up undisturbed. Does the cursor for the mouse go to the upper left corner again and stay there, without your touching the mouse meanwhile? or is the problem cured?

Let me know, please, by Reply to Expert, either way. I will help further as needed.

The only thing in a USB port is the printer connection. My mouse is wireless. There is no mouse transmitter in any port.
The computer is in. Should I just unplug it?

Shut down the computer and then unplug the computer from power I advise.

What maker and model is the mouse, please?

The mouse is an Apple. There is now info written on it and I cannot access the computer for info.

Well, thank you for trying to find info on the mouse.

You might want to observe whether this status icon is seen on the screen, or not:

https://support.apple.com/library/content/dam/edam/applecare/images/en_US/keyboards/bluetooth_connected.png

which means 'one or more devices connected by Bluetooth connection'.

As opposed to this icon, which means: 'no Bluetooth connected devices':

https://support.apple.com/library/content/dam/edam/applecare/images/en_US/keyboards/bluetooth_logo.png

Are you with Apple support?
I thought I was paying for Apple Support. I don't mid paying the $5 for this help, but he don't want any contracts or to pay more.

I'm with JustAnswer.com.

I would like to mention, since your mouse is not working, you may shut down your computer in the usual fashion, by first holding these three keys down on the keyboard:

ALT + Left SHIFT + NUM LOCK

and then use the arrow keys on the keypad to move the mouse cursor over to the Apple menu, click on it using the center key of the keypad or the ENTER key perhaps.

No contract that I know of has been applied to your account, no.

Ok, good. I'll let you know when I plug it back in and turn it on.
I plugged it back in and turned it on. The problem is still there.
The icon you mentioned s the one that shows that one or more devices is connected.

I think your mouse has gone bad. Turn it over: does it show any lights?

How old is the mouse? and the whole system?

Also: do you have any other devices connected to this Mac computer by wireless or by Bluetooth link? aside from the wireless mouse. Perhaps the keyboard is wireless too?

I have a printer that I can send info to via Bluetooth. My mouse has l little green light at th top no other lights. I'll see if the printer blur tooth is working.
The Bluetooth signal to the printer works fine.

OK. Three remaining questions:

1. how old is the mouse?

2. turn Off the printer, wait a few minutes. Does the symbol regarding connection by Bluetooth remain the same, or does it change?

3. and, is your keyboard wireless, or is it on a cable connected to the computer?

The computer is about 4 or five years old. Our keyboard is wireless. I disconnected the printer from the computer. But the icon has not changed.

Probably the keyboard is still connected then. I think you should try replacing the mouse, simply... the wireless connection works for keyboard and for printer, so there's nothing wrong with the computer nor the wireless link's physics, I doubt.

You could try taking the batteries out of the mouse and leaving them out for an hour before giving up on it and replacing it, to see if all it needs is a power-off reset for a while.

Meanwhile, until it is resolved by replacement or by the power-off-for-awhile reset, you can use the keyboard as I stated previously, to move the mouse cursor and work with the computer to some extent.

Do you need further help? or does this answer your question completely?

How do I move the cursor with the keyboard?
You told me how to shut it off, but not get to me programs and files.

OK... you can move the cursor about with the arrow keys on the keypad, once you have pressed

ALT + Left SHIFT + NUM LOCK

all three at once, once, to turn on Mouse Keying.

Then once the cursor is over an icon or function, you press either Space, or the center key on the keypad, or the ENTER key or RETURN key, to 'activate' or click on what your mouse cursor is over.

Moving among icons can be done with the TAB key in some circumstances, which can be much quicker than moving the mouse cursor with other keys.

Is this all the information you need to answer this question?

I see alt and left shift, but no number lock. Do you mean caps lock, or the # icon?

NumLock is usually to be found on Intel Mac keyboards, at the upper right. No, it's not CapsLock. Perhaps the # icon would work...

The CLEAR button is supposed to serve the same function.

See this article:

osxdaily.com/2014/12/01/number-keys-not-working-mac-keyboard-fix/

- Does this answer your question in full and adequately or better?

I don't have a clear button or separate number section. My numbers are found above the top letter line. Shift alt and any other keys does nothing. I'll call Apple, like I thougtIwas doing. Will you reimburse my $5?

TAB and arrow keys, and Space bar instead of clicking on an icon, should work for you.

I have no power over charges, billing, no access to your credit information. For all such concerns I must refer you to Customer Support at JustAnswer.com. They may be reached at

***@******.***

or through Chat or Phone by way of this page:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

Thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer.com.

Ok
Mike, Mac Medic