Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have an older ipod. it is telling me I need to "renew" I…

Customer Question
I have an older...

I have an older ipod . it is telling me I need to "renew" I don't know what this means and when I plug it into my computer it doesn't do anything. I want to listen to my music. what do I do?

Technician's Assistant: How old is your iPod?

Maybe 5-6 years old

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your iPod?

Well it wont charge for starters and it says connect to iTunes. once when I plugged it to the laptop it said it was doing something not sure what but it would take a few minutes and than the screen went blank and nothing happened. I plugged it into the truck and that is when it said renew. I'm not real savvy on these things. I'm lost at this point. My husbands is older than mine and its working fine.

Technician's Assistant: Happy to help. Want a weekly JustAnswer email to help with other issues? If so, what's your email address? And if you'd still like to talk to the Video Expert, I'll connect you shortly.

Yes

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Video Expert to know before I connect you?

I think that's it

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Mac
12/12/2017
Mac Support Specialist: John Lohr, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 2 months ago
John Lohr
John Lohr, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hello and thank you for choosing JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Could you tell me the exact message on the screen?

posting in behalf of the customer***Well it wont charge for starters and it says connect to iTunes. once when I plugged it to the laptop it said it was doing something not sure what but it would take a few minutes and than the screen went blank and nothing happened. I plugged it into the truck and that is when it said renew. I'm not real savvy on these things. I'm lost at this point. My husbands is older than mine and its working fine.

What kind of iPod is it? (Touch, nano, classic...)

it just shows the plug and says iTunes. But I plugged it into my truck and it said renew. That's all.
its a touch
it wont charge or open or anything.

Is it just "Renew" or "Renew Lease" ?

it popped up so fast I want to say it only said "renew"
I didn't understand what it meant

And when not connected to anything, does it always say "Connect to iTunes" ?

It's blank. It wont open at all.

Not even to the "Connect to itunes" screen now?

Nothing. It only shows me that when I try to charge it or plug it into something

When you connect it to iTunes, do you get a popup that says "Restore" or "Update and Restore" ?

I can't get there either. I use to just plug it into my computer and it did it all itself. Now it doesn't do anything

So now when plugging it in, you do not even get the connect to itunes message?

I have the ipod plugged into my computer right now. I have the connect to iTunes in the ipod but nothing is happening

When you open iTunes, there are no pop-ups about restoring?

when I went to iTunes, that's how I got you

Are you using a PC or Mac computer?

Pc

On the iPod, please hold the Lock/power button and the home button for 10 seconds, until it appears to reboot. Do you get the same screen again?

It doesn't to anything. It's just blank.
It only gives me the message when it's plugged in and that's it. Nothing else

Please do that while it is plugged in and that message is up

It went off and than back on with the same air message
I have to go to work. I can't communicate any longer today

Please leave it connected and try the following:

1. Download this file:
    1. http://www.cydiaos.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/RecBoot-1.3-WIN.zip
  2. Right click the zip file and click on "Extract"
  3. Open the folder created by the extraction and double click on "RecBoot"
  4. Click on "Exit Recovery Mode"

Does this work?

Not a problem, please let me know when you are able to continue

Ok. Thank you

You are welcome

Mike, Mac Medic