Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I inserted a usb (disk) called no name. The message on

Customer Question
I inserted a usb...

I inserted a usb (disk) called no name. The message on screen said"no name cannot be opened because the original item cannot be found"

Technician's Assistant: What kind of Apple device do you have? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Where can I find this info

Technician's Assistant: The Mac Technician will be able to walk you through that. How long has this been going on with your Apple device? What have you tried so far?

I have only discovered this yesterday. My machine is about 6 months old

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

The machine has been automatically upgraded to Siera

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Mac
12/12/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 5 months ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

This could be because the USB current format is either damaged or is in an incorrect format that the mac can not read.

Has this drive opened ok on this mac before? Or are you able to open it on any other mac or PC that you may have?

If not, on the mac, open the disk utility app (applications/utilities) and see if the usb drive shows up on the left side menu. If it does it should tell you the format that it is in on the right hand side. The default type of format for max is either mac extended (journaled), ExFat, or fat32

Therefore, if you do not have any data on this usb drive and it shows up on the disk utility menu, then you can select the drive in disk utility and then on the right side menu you can click "erase", then type in the name you want for the drive, the format called mac extended (journaled), then click erase or ok.

If the drive can not be recognized on this mac or any other mac or PC then it could be damaged and therefore you would have no choice but to purchase a new one.

If I have helped in any way, please consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.

Did you still need help? Were you able to try the instructions I previously posted for you? If all is good, please still consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

Jon
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast