Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My desk-top Mac is OSX, 10.6.8. I have been told by my bank…

Customer Question
My desk-top Mac is...

My desk-top Mac is OSX, 10.6.8. I have been told by my bank that I can no longer do internet banking because my browser is old and no longer recognised. How do I replace my browser with a new one?

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Mac?

10.6.8 10.6.8

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Mac? What have you tried so far?

Snow leopard.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Problem has been going on for some months. This is my first attempt to do something about it.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mac
12/11/2017
Mac Support Specialist: syseng, Systems Engineer replied 7 months ago
syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

My first recommendation is to update the operating system to at least 10.11 El Capitan (and from there you can upgrade to the most current which is 10.13.1 High Sierra) which you should be able to do as long as your computer is dated late 2009 or greater. If you are OK with updating to 10.11 please follow the instructions below to update:

1. Use this link to open the El Capitan page on the App Store: Get OS X El Capitan.
  2. Click the Download button on the El Capitan page. A file named Install OS X El Capitan downloads to your Applications folder.
  3. After download is complete, the installer opens automatically. Click Continue and follow the onscreen instructions.

Please let me know if you need assistance with any of the steps.

Once the update is complete the Internet banking issue should be resolved.

Do you still need assistance?

The only system I wish to upgrade is my browser.
I particularly do NOT want to upgrade "Pages". I am writing a book, and more recent versions of "Pages", such as the version installed on my wife's more recent computer, do not work nearly so well for writers as the version installed on my computer in 2007.
Is it possible to upgrade the browser and nothing else?
Humphrey Beckett