Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My wife put a picture dsc in the disc drive of my imac and…

Customer Question
My wife put a...

My wife put a picture dsc in the disc drive of my imac and the computer doesn't regomize it. I can't even eject it

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iMac?

10.11.6

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your iMac? What have you tried so far?

First time. Tried to restart

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Mac
12/10/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 5 months ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

Don't worry, I have had this happen to me many times as there are some things to try as one of them usually works.

1. restart your iMac and immediately hold down your mouse button (click), hold the click down until your computer gets to the log in page or your desktop

more to be continued (typing).......

How will I get back to you if this doesn't work?

Just reply here. I am typing more things to try

If that does not work you can try the following"

Choose the Apple icon in top left corner > Log Out, then log in again. Try to eject the disk again.

Shutdown and turn back on

Eject from the desktop:

Select the disc you want to eject by clicking on the disc icon on from the desktop, then choose File > Eject [disc].

Eject from a Finder window:

Click the Finder icon(smile face) in the Dock to open a Finder window, then in the Finder sidebar, click the Eject button icon next to the disc’s name.

If an app is using the CD or DVD: Quit the app, then try to eject the disc again. Example, if you have the pic

Log out the users of the imac, then try to eject it again.

You can also hold down the Option key while restarting the mac and when you see your CD or DVD appear on the screen, select it, then press the Eject key.

If I have helped in any way, please consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.

If it still does not work let me know and I can try and remember so more things to try.

oh yeh some other things to try are:

ON your keyboard: Press COMMAND and E.

If that does not work:

Open the Terminal application in

your Utilities folder (applications/utilities). At the prompt enter or paste the following:

/usr/bin/drutil eject

If that does not work you can try:

Boot the computer into Single-user Mode by doing the following.

1. restart the mac

2. immediately hold down command and S on the keyboard

3. a bunch of white text should display on the screen, wait until loaded

4. when you can type, type the following reboot

ONe last thing I can think of:

Open the Disk Utility app (also found in applications/utilities)

Then when disk utility is open, see if it recognizes the disc which it may not but if it does, select it on the right hand menu and then go to the top, click file, and then eject.

Nothing seems to be working. The computer doesn’t even recognize that there is a disc in the drive.

Right, but most of these instructions do not need to have the disc to be recognized. So if you have for sure tried all of these you may have no choice as to try and left the mac on it's side carefully with the cd slot facing the ground and then try the eject button or the mouse trick I had mentioned in the previous instructions. Because this could mean that the disk is physically "stuck" as if you tried all that I mentioned it's going to be a hardware issue as we have covered all software possibilities.

Did you still need help? Were you able to try the instructions I previously posted for you? If all is good, please still consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

Jon
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast