Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I can't get my MacBook Pro to start up. Mountain Lion. I was…

Customer Question
I can't get my...

I can't get my MacBook Pro to start up.

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your MacBook Pro?

Mountain Lion. I was having an issue with Outlook 2011 - searches not working and had tried using Spotlight to index Ran the following from terminal

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

Option 4: Spotlight Index is CorruptLaunch Terminal
Type “sudo mdutil -i off /” and hit enter
Type “sudo mdutil -E /” and hit enter
Type “sudo rm -Rf /var/folders/*” and hit enter
Type “sudo rm -Rf /.Spotlight-V100/*” and hit enter
Restart your Mac
Launch Terminal again
Type “sudo mdutil -a -i on” and hit enter When I tried to restart, it starts to boot and progress bar gets about halfway then it just shuts down

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mac
Tried starting in safe mode, single user mode, recovery mode, resetting PRAM and nothing works. Still goes right to login screen after Apple briefly appears. Gets about 1/2 way on progress bar then just shuts diwn
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/9/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 4 months ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

All the you have tried sounds like great things. I know it sounds elementary but have you tried restarting your mac while holding down the OPTION key to boot into the disk manager and see if the recovery partition shows up their? Do you see any drives? Let me know.

You mentioned recovery mode but I just want to make sure you tried both versions of this.

1. Recovery mode from your local hard drive - Command and R

2. Recovery mode image from the internet and apple's server - Command and Option and R

If you can not boot your mac into single user mode, recovery mode, safe mode, etc. then the only other option is to create a bootable flash drive from another mac whether if its a friends mac, a family member, co worker, etc. You would just need to borrow the mac temporarily to create this flash drive. Then once its created you would plug it into your mac, reboot, and hold down the option key and see if you see the flash drive you created as an option to pick from the disk manager. If so you would click it and install MacOS. However since you have an out of date OS already 10.8 then you may have out dated hardware and depending on this, will depend on what version you can upgrade to if at all.

Another option would be that the Hard drive has failed and you have no choice but to install a new hard drive.

So were going to assume your hard drive is ok since I wouldn't be able to install the HD for you and in hopes that your mac is just being stubborn in bootting up.

You can reference https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372 but just to explain, the mac you use to create the flash drive needs to be 10.9 or higher but at the same time compatible with your hardware. I would assume you will not be able to go past 10.11 El Capitan. You can check below as I have included the links to all the system requirements. I am sure you know but since you will not be able to check your apple/about this mac to get all the info of your current mac, you can use your serial number if you know it or it could be on the bottom of your mac or mac stand and go here to get the info you need (click here)

10.9 Mavericks System Requirements - https://support.apple.com/kb/SP702?locale=en_US

10.10 Yosemite System Requirements https://support.apple.com/kb/SP711?locale=en_US

10.11 El Capitan https://support.apple.com/kb/sp728?locale=en_US

10.12 MacOS Sierra https://support.apple.com/kb/sp742?locale=en_US

10.13 MacOS High Sierra https://support.apple.com/kb/SP765?locale=en_US

Then once you know the version of OS you can run on your mac, then you will need to make sure that you are able to download the same OS from the app store. As you may know, the app store only offers the most recent version of their MacOS which is 10.13 so that may not do you any good. Therefore, there is a trick. Say your using a friends mac and he has an apple id. Have them go into the app store login and look under their "purchased" section in the app store. The OS is free but this purchased area shows all free downloads as well. Look to see if there are any downloads of any past Mac OS that you can re-download by clicking the cloud next to it. They ma need to sign in. Once you find it download it and follow the following steps. If worse comes to worse and they do not have any OS to download, the only app other then 10.13 that is available from Apple to download is 10.11 El Capitan but only if your mac can support it. If needed you can download @ https://itunes.apple.com/app/os-x-el-capitan/id1147835434?mt=12

Once you know the OS that you need and have the download on the mac you are borrowing, you can follow the steps below to create the flash drive:

1. When the OS is done downloading from the App Store, it may automatically open the Installer Wizard but just minimize the window it is not needed
  2. Plug in a USB flash drive at least 12 GB and rename the drive to Untilted - (If you see it appear on the desktop, remember the name of the USB drive as you will need this later. You can use the current name but sometimes different names can cause an issue for some reason. especially names with spaces or longer names. I have a less fail rate when using the name "untitled". So for this example that is what were using.)
  3. Open your terminal app on the borrowed mac
  4. Copy and paste the following command but do not hit enter yet:
  5. sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app

6. In terminal, use the arrows on your keyboard to navigate through the command until you get to the word "MyVolume". You need to replace this name with the name of your USB drive. You can rename your USB drive to MyVolume if you would like.
  7. Hit enter to exec
  8. You should see the following:
  9. Ready to start.
  10. To continue we need to erase the disk at /Volumes/Untitled.
  11. If you wish to continue type (Y) then press return: y
  12. Erasing Disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 30%...100%... (<-- This will reformat the flash drive)
  13. Copying installer files to disk...
  14. Copy complete.
  15. Making disk bootable...
  16. Copying boot files...
  17. Copy complete.

Once the above is complete then you can eject the usb from the borrowed mac and then insert it into your mac and then try the following. It is up to you if you want to try a standard install or an advance install.

Standard Upgrade/Install - this does not erase any data of the hard drive but instead updates the OS to Sierra 10.12

1. Make sure to eject your USB flash drive properly. (Meaning don't just pull the drive out. You need to either control click the drive icon on the desktop and choose "eject" or drag the drive to the trash which turns into EJECT and then you can pull the drive out.)
  2. Insert the drive into the mac that you would like to update
  3. Restart the mac
  4. Immediately hold down the "option" key on the keyboard
  5. Select your USB drive from the Disk Menu. Probably called by default "Install Mac OS sierra".
  6. Your USB drive will boot your mac and take you to a main menu that looks just like the recovery OS X Utilities main menu (this may take a while as you're booting from a USB flash drive)
  7. At the main menu, choose "reinstall OS"
  8. Follow the onscreen instructions to continue the process until complete

Advanced Upgrade/install - includes erasing the hard drive in order to perform a fresh install of Mac OS Sierra 10.12

3. Restart the mac
  6. Your USB drive will boot your mac and take you to a main menu that looks just like the recovery OS X Utilities main menu (this may take a while as your booting from a USB flash drive)
  7. At the main menu, choose "Disk utility"
  8. In Disk utility, on the left side menu, choose your primary drive which by default is called "Macintosh HD"
  9. On the right side menu, choose erase
  10. Enter a name for your primary hard drive. You can use the usual default of Macintosh HD
  11. Choose the Format "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
  12. Click Erase
  13. Wait for the erase process to finish
  14. Close Disk Utility
  15. Back on the main menu, choose "reinstall OS"
  16. Follow the onscreen instructions to continue the process until complete

If this does not work, you probably need a new hard drive

If I have helped in any way, please consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.

Did you still need help? Were you able to try the instructions I previously posted for you? If all is good, please still consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

Jon
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast