Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I am trying to restore an older ipad 2 to factory settings.

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to restore an older ipad 2 to factory settings. This ipad was never synced to itunes. I am following instructions on my new ipad but after step 3 my old screen does not show a message saying connet to iTunes. Help!

Technician's Assistant: What version of iTunes are you using to sync your iPad?

Don't know. I know that older ipad has the wider recharger port.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last reboot?

Months ago. the ipad belonged to my mom and I am trying to reset it so that my sisterinlaw can use it.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I am not even sure if the older ipad was ever programmed with a Passcode. I have the apple id and the password ***** the security questions but can't find a passcode anywhere

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mac
12/9/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 6 months ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

Sounds like you need to bypass the passcode since you already know your apple id and password. But let me know if that is not correct. If it is correct, then you will need to restore the iPad but the ipad will need to be in whats called "recovery mode" first and then do the restore like you mentioned. Here is how.

1. 1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.
  2. If iTunes is already open, close it. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend or family member if needed.
  3. While your device is connected, put it into recovery mode You do this by doing the next step
  4. Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. This is the most important step. See pic attached.
  5. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose restore. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS. It may take a while just keep an eye on it as you may need to download the file and open it. Just follow the instructions on the screen and you should be fine. If not let me know

If I have helped in any way, please consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.

Did you still need help? Were you able to try the instructions I previously posted for you? If all is good, please still consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.