Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I need to delete the Norton utilities "invisible" files on…

Customer Question
I need to delete...

I need to delete the Norton utilities "invisible" files on my Mac Performa 6360 running OS 9.

Technician's Assistant: Did the application come with an uninstaller, either on the installation disc or in the application's folder on your Mac?

I uninstalled Norton utilities but it left behind these Norton File Saver files. I can see them in Sherlock...but cannot delete them

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I was trying to use File Buddy 7.6 to delete these files, but cannot get File Buddy to install

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 3 days by:
12/11/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Bhavik Joshi, Computer Software Engineer replied 4 months ago
Bhavik Joshi
Bhavik Joshi, Computer Software Engineer

Hi, I'm Bhavik. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will reply back ASAP.

RemoveSymantecMacFiles removes all the folders that are created by Norton installers and any files within those folders including any you that have created.

Download and run RemoveSymantecMacFiles as an administrator

1. Download the RemoveSymantecMacFiles.zip file.

2. Click the Finder icon in the Dock to be in the Finder.

3. On the menu bar, click Go > Downloads to go to the Downloads folder.

4. Do one of the following:

• If you downloaded the file using Safari browser, open the RemoveSymantecMacFiles folder.

• If you downloaded the file using the Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome browsers, double-click the RemoveSymantecMacFiles.zip file to expand it, and then open the RemoveSymantecMacFiles folder.

5. In the RemoveSymantecMacFiles folder, control-click the RemoveSymantecMacFiles.command file, and then click Open with > Terminal (default).

To run this tool, you must be logged in to your Mac with an Administrator account with a non-blank password.

6. In the Terminal window, type your administrator password, and then press return.

When you type your password, no characters appear.

7. To remove all Symantec files and folders, type 1.

If you want to quit RemoveSymantecMacFiles without removing any files, type 2.

8. Press return.

RemoveSymantecMacFiles removes all of the Symantec files.

9. When the RemoveSymantecMacFiles tool finishes removing the Symantec files, in the Terminal window, type y, and press return to restart your Mac.

Before you press return, make sure you save your work in other open applications.

Let me know how it goes !!

Hello, and thank you for your response. Unfortunately, the two Mac computers I am working with are running Mac OS 9.1 and not OS X. Therefore your method will not work. I've looked around the internet on various forums and found something called "File Buddy." On the SkyTag.com website they offer this: "File Buddy 7.6 requires Mac OS 10.1 or later, or Mac OS 9 with CarbonLib 1.5 or later"
So, I downloaded the File Buddy 7.6, but cannot get the application to install on OS 9.1. I decompressed their File Buddy 7.6 and it looked like it should install....but does not. When decompressed, File Buddy 7 generates a MACOSX folder and a File Buddy 7 folder. I have Mac OS 9 and CarbonLib 1.6. Its almost as though File Buddy 7.5 should be present, but isn't
Anyway, that's where things stand today. File Buddy hasn't worked out. I really want to delete these Norton File Saver remnants. Examples are: 1) Norton FS Data 2) Norton FS Index 3) Norton FS Volume 4) Norton FS Volume 2......and there are others on another disk drive.
Ideas?? Best Regards ***** *****!

Okay, I got it. I do not know if there is any software which can help us in this case. Can you once talk to FireGlass support team of Norton and check with them if they have any removal tool for your version of mac. You can find their details here :-

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/Fireglass-Support.html

Before contacting them , you can try using below software and see if it is working for you and ask them you have tried both of their currently available removal tools :-

https://support.symantec.com/content/dam/mac/tools/SymantecRemovalTool.zip

Let me know what they reply.

Mike, Mac Medic