Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I guess I need to update my Excel but not sure how to do it.

I guess I need...

I guess I need to update my Excel but not sure how to do it

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your computer or device?

OS x 10.9.5

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update your Excel?

I thought updates happened automatically so I don't know

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

I am working on a Mac Book Pro (Mid 2012)

12/7/2017
Richard, Apple Software Engineer

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Can you tell me the issue you are having with Excel?

Please let me know

Richard, Apple Software Engineer
When I try to open excel I get a message that I guess means I need to update. I have tried updating but Outlook won't let me

Click this link

download.teamviewer.com/download/TeamViewerQS.dmg

A program will start downloading to your computer (it does not open a webpage, but the file will start downloading to your computer).

Run the program and it shows you and ID and Password.

Give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect

Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect

Thank you

I need 10.10.5 I guess - that's what I can't get because of Outlook - can you fix?

Click this link
Thank you

Team viewer will not open because my OS is not up to date, but Outlook will not let me update

Ok, what is the issue you are actually having with office? Please explain it to me.

I can't access my excel files. I think it's because Outlook is stuck when I try to update my OS. When trying to update to a newer OS, I am asked to close Outlook but Outlook won't close.

What exactly happens when you try to access an excel file?

I get an error message that says I need to update my OS

Which version of office are you using?

How do I find that info?

It is usually 2008, 2011, 2016, do you recall on the disk or download?

No. but my laptop is about 5 years old - I suspect it is 2011

Ok, it should still open for you.

Power off the mac

Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window

choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.

Click the First Aid tab.

Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").

Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.