Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I purchased an apple watch from a friend and they never took…

Customer Question
I purchased an apple...

I purchased an apple watch from a friend and they never took the apple id off of it. is there anything I can do to get it working?

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Apple Watch?

I have no idea honestly. It does say that it needs updated

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Apple Watch? What have you tried so far?

Ive been trying to figure it out for a couple days now. I've tried hard resetting it, turning it off, but nothing that is actually working

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mac
12/4/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 8 months ago
Suhasini Velu

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Mac Support Specialist: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 8 months ago

It's something your friend should have done from their side before they gave this to you.

But not to worry let me tell you what your friend should do from his apple account.

Is that okay?

It was his old watch so he doesn't remember anything from it. So no that is not okay.
Mac Support Specialist: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 8 months ago

​This is what he has to perform using his computer. You don't have to work with the watch. This can be done by your friend.

1. On a computer, go to iCloud.com and sign in with your Apple ID.
  2. Go to Find My iPhone.
  3. Select All Devices, then click your Apple Watch.
  4. Click Erase Apple Watch. Select Next until the device is erased.
  5. Click next to your Apple Watch.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I literally just told you that he doesn't remember anything. You are literally not giving me anymore information than I already know. I just need to know how I can reset the damn watch since he doesn't remember anything.
Mac Support Specialist: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 8 months ago

No unfortunately you cannot do that.

I may have to open this to other experts.

Great.
Mac Support Specialist: Justin Johnson, Mac Genius replied 8 months ago
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius

Hi! I am Justin. Let me take a chance to look over your question. If you have any additional details please type it in and hit the reply to expert button.

The watch was already reset or something and it pops up has me check what language and region and then as I try to pair it it says I need the apple Id and then I get stuck

You are describing Activation Lock, which prevents unauthorised use of Apple Watch if it is lost or stolen.

Whenever this feature has been activated, if a watch is erased directly from the watch instead of via the Watch app on the paired iPhone, Activation Lock remains active and prevents the watch from being paired to anyone else's iPhone.

To be able to pair the watch to your own iPhone, you need the previous owner to either:

• Enter their Apple ID and password ***** your device, or;
  • Turn the feature off via https://www.icloud.com/
    • Once logged in (using their Apple ID and password), the seller should go to: Settings > My Devices > Click on Apple Watch > Click on the "X" > click on Remove.

You will not otherwise be able to use the watch (there is no way around Activation Lock).

More information:

About Activation Lock on Apple Watch - Apple Support

If you have any follow-up questions, don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service.