Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I lost my desktop files on my MacBook Pro. I downloaded some…

Customer Question
I lost my desktop...

I lost my desktop files on my MacBook Pro. I downloaded some supposedly free software that actually cost 50.00 and implanted MacKeeper. I just want to find my old desktop files. Then make sure all the MacKeeper file are off my system.

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your MacBook Pro?

High Sierra v 10.13.1

Technician's Assistant: Which software or app can I help with?

I want you to tell me how to find my lost desktop files. that's all

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your software?

I don't remember. Is there 1 that is free that will not download MacKeeper?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mac
Is anyone there?
12/3/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 7 months ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

MacKeeper is a malware and not sure what other malware you install. What caused the files to disappear ? I mean, did this happen after update, changing any account related setting etc ?

Maybe after an update. I want to focus on finding my desktop files first. If you google, solutions are offered but not with my current ISO version.

If you setup iCloud account on it, then your desktop should be linked to iCloud. Go to Apple > System Preferences > iCloud. Click iCloud Drive and is the Desktop and Document option enabled there ?

looking

Also, check www.icloud.com and check iCloud Drive there.

Sometimes when the Mac lose connection with iCloud, it will cause the Documents and Desktop to disappear

Desktop and Document Option is checked

We're not scammers. This is JustAnswer.com, a paid support site --> https://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/answering-service/justanswer-in-san-francisco-ca-82403

And you are going to get a lot of those virus related messages and scams because you installed a malware itself on your Mac. Until you remove those malwares, you will get those frequent pop ups, ads, phishing messages etc

Goto www.icloud.com and check iCloud Drive there. Do you see your files there ?

The files are no on my iCloud drive on the desktop folder or in documents.
They have to be on the hard drive. How can I find them?

Are you sure you are logged in to the correct user account ?

Unless the desktop files went somewhere else. I keep asking you if I can find them on my Mac itself. I would like to do that now.

Search any file name in Spotlight and does it show anything ?

I can't find Spotlight in my apps now
Is there no simple way to do this?

Spotlight is the search (magnifier icon) at top right of your screen. Click it and type the name of any file that was on desktop. If it is anywhere on Mac, then it will show there

Not there

It is very strange that they just disappear without any reason. Did you use any cleaning program ?

Go to Apple > System Preferences > Users and Groups. How many accounts do you see there ?

I did it and not there
I used spotlight

Did you use any kind of cleaning program prior to this issue ?

Are you searching?

I'm not searching. I don't have access to your Mac. I'm waiting for the answer for the questions I asked.

I have Mine and Admin
No Mine (Peggy) and Guest

I'm afraid I'm not sure what happened. Desktop folder of system and it can't be deleted easily. Do you have any cleaning program installed ? Like CleanMyMac, AdvancedCleaner etc

Also, do you have Time Machine backup running ?

I didn't. Do you recommend CleanMymac. I'll check if Time Machine is running.
I can't tell if time machine is running

No, I would not recommend any kind of cleaning programs. I've seen that these kind of cleaning program deleted users files without any warning. That is why I asked.

Go to Apple >System Preferences > Time Machine and what do you see there ?

I see that it is not checked so I guess it's not running.

Did you mean it is not turned on ?

I guess.

In Finder, click on Go menu and select Home. Check all folders there. Do you see anything ?

Where is menu and home?

You will see Go menu in the top bar (in Finder) next to File, Edit etc menus. You will see Home in Go menu

I can't find Menu
Did it. File not there.

Did you lose any other files ? From pictures or documents folder ?

Go to Go menu > Home again, now select Desktop folder and press Command and I keys on keyboard. What is the size of desktop folder there ?

I have to go to church. Can we finish this later?

Yes, add a bookmark of this page or add this page to your favorites, so you can get back to me later.

Best Regards,