Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I just had a warning come up on my iPad 2 with a telephone…

Customer Question
I just had a...

I just had a warning come up on my iPad 2 with a telephone number for tech support. When I called and gave hm my serial number he told me there would be a one time charge of $99.00 to protect my computer. I hung up call Discover to be sure they were alerted then contacted you. Is this legit or a scam?

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iPad?

I believe 9.3.4

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your iPad? What have you tried so far?

It just happened in the last 1/2 hour

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't believe so presently

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mac
12/2/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech replied 7 months ago
Viet - Mac Tech
Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech

I'm sorry about the issue. That is a fake popup warning message. It is a scam, so please do not call that number again, and do not follow any instruction in it.

- Does the popup warning message occur when you turn off / restart your iPad?

- Or does the popup warning message only occur when you open the Internet / Safari on your iPad? etc.?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Please try the following fix:

1. Open the Settings app icon on your iPad.
  2. There, tap on the option Safari (if needed, scroll down (on the left) first.)
  3. Then tap on the option Clear History and Website Data (if needed, scroll down (on the right) first.)
  4. Then tap on the option Clear (or Clear History and Website Data).
  5. Open the Safari app icon, and it should work now.
  6. But if it does not work, then press and hold both the Power (On / Off) button and the Home button (which is located right below the screen) together for at least 10 seconds, until the Apple logo appears, then wait a bit. Then try steps 1 to 5 above again, and check.

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you.

Also, the fake popup warning message usually occurs when you accidentally click on a bad website link or advertisements or bad email attachment. If turning off / restarting the iPad does not fix the issue, then doing my steps above should resolve the issue.

- Reminder: Apple and any legitimate company would never display a popup warning message automatically on your iPad's screen. Apple and any legitimate company would never contact you automatically about any issue with your iPad. Whenever you have an issue with your iPad, you would need to contact a support company yourself first. In the future, please always ignore any popup message or phone call that you do not know or that you are not expecting.

- Is your iPad working fine now after trying my steps above? Or is there still any issue?

It looks like you are not there. We can schedule another time.

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you.