Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My safari won’t stay open. It keeps closing out, Earlier…

Customer Question
Hello. My safari...

Hello. My safari won’t stay open. It keeps closing out

Technician's Assistant: When could you last open your Safari?

Earlier this morning. I tried to install WebEx meeting

Technician's Assistant: Did you recently update your software or Operating System (OS)?

Just did, thinking it would reset safari... but alas, it did not

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mac
12/1/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Mr.Med, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 7 months ago
Mr.Med
Mr.Med, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, I'mCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I'm sorry about the issue, Please follow the steps below and let me know the results :

a. First Press Command + Option + Escape simultaneously. This will open the Force Quit Applications window.
b. Select Safari
c. Click the button that says Force Quit. This will forcefully end your browser program.
d. Then while holding the shift key, open Safari by clicking on it’s icon from the dock, and when it opens up reset it completely by clicking Safari -> Reset Safari

Thank you

That doesn’t do anything. I’ve dalready done everything you mentioned. When I click on the safari logo, it opens up to the last page I had opened (CNN News), it doesn’t even open to the preset home page (Google).

Please click on Safari > Preferences, then click General.

In the Homepage field, enter www.google.com and close Safari, now re open it

Let me know the results

Thank you

It’s doesn’t even open anymore... I click on safari, it flashes for a sec to open then closes and disappears. Error box shows up that says safari quit unexpectedly... ignore. Report. Reopen

Has everything worked out please? I would suggest downloading an alternate browser such Firefox or http://www.google.com/chrome

Please try the following :

Turn off Safari Extensions

1. From the Safari menu, choose Preferences.
  2. Click the Extensions icon, then select an extension from the list.
  3. Deselect the Enable checkbox to turn off that extension.

If turning off an extension resolves the issue, check for extension updates by clicking Updates in the lower-left corner of the window. Or remove the extension by clicking the Uninstall button.

Remove Internet plug-ins and other add-ons

Go > Go to Folder from the menu bar. Then type /Library and click Go.

The Library folder in your home folder. Open it by holding Option while choosing Go > Library from the menu bar.

The Library folders contain the following folders for add-ons. Move any files within these folders to the Trash :

• Internet Plug-Ins
  • Input Methods
  • InputManagers
  • ScriptingAdditions

Note : Don't remove Default Browser.plugin, nslQTScriptablePlugin.xpt, Quartz Composer.webplugin, or QuickTime Plugin.plugin.

Thank you

I can’t even keep the safari page open long enough to remove the extensions. I was able to delete the plug-in extension. I just restarted the mac

Ok, once you restart it, please reopen Safari and let me know the results

Thank you

Has everything worked out please?

No, it still the same. I’m noticing that my main Mac bar at the top of my computer, where the date, time, etc... are the “search icon” flashes and disappears every sec or so... again, clicking on Safari opens it for a split sec, then closes and shows me the error message.

Please try to open the Safari Menu, then select History > Clear History. Then go to your Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Manage Website Data and clear website data. Quit and then reopen Safari and test.

If the problem persits, go to Safari > Preferences > Advanced and check the ‘Show Develop menu in menu bar’ box. Then from the Safari Menu, select Develop > Empty Caches. then Check if your Mac has Adobe Flash Player installed, select System Preferences > Flash Player > Advanced > Delete All… And tick the box marked Delete All Site Data and Settings then click Delete Data.

If you continue to experience problems :

Hold down the SHIFT key and select Go > Library from the Finder menu bar. Now, delete all of the following items from the Library folder. Some of these files may not exist on your MAC :

• Caches/com.apple.Safari
  • Caches/com.apple.Safari.SearchHelper
  • Caches/com.apple.SafariServices
  • Caches/com.apple.WebKit.PluginProcess
  • Caches/com.apple.WebProcess
  • Caches/Metadata/Safari
  • Preferences/com.apple.WebKit.PluginHost.plist
  • Preferences/com.apple.WebKit.PluginProcess.plist
  • Saved Application State/com.apple.Safari.savedState

Thank you

Ok, have done all of that..., restarted Mac and same thing happens.

Try this last solution please update Safari or use another browser

I don’t have another browser, and can’t download on if I can’t open up safari. Safari has been updated

What device are you using now please?

I’m om my ipad

Please open safari on your iPad, type www.google.com/chrome and download Chrome for Mac, transfer the dmg file from your iPad to your Mac and install it.

Thank you