Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Two probably related problems: 1) my iMac won’t shut down…

Customer Question
Hi. Two probably related problems:1)...
Hi. Two probably related problems:1) my iMac won’t shut down completely. The desktop icons disappear but the dock and the screensaver stay on.
2) Nothing happens when I click Finder.It’s an iMac early 2008 using 10.11.6 OS
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 day by:
12/3/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Justin Johnson, Mac Genius replied 7 months ago
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius

Hi! I am Justin. Let me take a chance to look over your question. If you have any additional details please type it in and hit the reply to expert button.

It's my office computer. I'm there Monday to Friday 830 to 5.

I would suggest holding the power button down until the screen goes blank and then pressing the power button again.

Tried it. Didn’t work.
When a program is running, the finder doesn’t work and shutdown (under the apple icon) doesn’t work.
When I close all programs, the icons on the desktop disappear and the dock remains. I can open a program on the dock and resume working. I can press the power button to shut down but that doesn’t solve the problem.

Unplug the iMac from the wall. Plug it back in and hit the power button.

After the restart, Finder worked. But the computer wouldn’t finish shutting down. The icons disappeared but screen saver and dock remained. After reopening a program, the Finder wouldn’t work anymore.

It sounds like you may have a failing hard drive. Do you have everything backed up?

Most of it. This is a 2008 machine but the hard drive was replaced about five years ago. How do I confirm it’s a failing hard drive?

We can do it a couple of ways. If you start up your computer and hold the option key what do you see?

It gives me a choice - start the Mac HD or another one.
waiting ...
still waiting...
C’mon Justin. I see you’re online now. Why don’t you answer?

I am here. Sorry. It has been a busy day.

I would suggest backing up your computer and doing a clean install. It sounds like a reinstall may end up just leaving you right were you left off.

Okay. What is a "clean install" and what’s the difference between it and a "reinstall"? I take it that it is not just updating the OS.

Reinstall is over top the current content. Clean install is when you erase everything on the computer.

Thanks, I’ll get back to you.

Thank you.

I’ve read up on how to do a clean install. This is my work computer so I can’t mess with it during the week. No one else will be here Friday and I will do it then and report back.

Sounds good!