Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Although my computer shows my status as active, I cannot…

Customer Question
Although my computer shows...

Although my computer shows my status as active, I cannot place video calls, and I show as being off line to people who try to call me

Technician's Assistant: What computer or device are you trying to connect?

An IMac

Technician's Assistant: Does your network appear in the Wi-Fi list on your Apple device?

I believe so. I was able to use Skype video successfully until a couple of weeks ago when Skype asked me to re-register my account at Microsoft, which I did. I also added Google Chrome at that time for use with Skype.

Technician's Assistant: Which lights are solid and which are blinking on your router?

I have a Frontier DSL router. Power, Wireless and DSL are continuously solid. Internet blinks occasionally. E2 blinks continuously.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Not sure what else he/she would need, so probably not.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mac
12/1/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Pete, Computer Engineer replied 4 months ago
Pete, Computer Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Can you make voice calls ok?

What version of Skype are you using?

What version of MacOS are you using?

I use Skype only for video calls, not voice, so I don't know if it works on voice only.Skype 8.11.0.4, calling version 2017.23.01.38, which is stated to be the latest version.My IMac is an early 2008 version, upgraded to 6 GB of RAM. The operating system is OSX Yosemite 10.10.5

Skype is not compatible with some older Macs, so that may be the cause of this issue.

First, to check if the camera is working ok, open Finder and go to Applications, then open "Photo Boot" and let me know if you see yourself on the screen. (You will have to close Skype first)

Then please follow the steps below:

1- Open Skype

2- Go to Skype menu, then Preferences

3- Click Video

4- Next to Camera, click the drop-down list and select "Built-in iSight"

5- Then CHECK "Enable Skype Video"

6- Check "Start my video automatically"

7- Check "People in my Contact List"

And let me know if that works?

I followed your instructions exactly, as far as I could. In response to the first section, I do see myself on the screen, so the camera is working.Following your enumerated steps, the preferences section in the Skype menu leads me to a list of application settings. The list does not include "video" or "camera," nor is there a drop down list. (The application settings have four sections entitled "Notifications," "Start Up and Close," "Privacy" and "Other."Please note that I successfully made video calls for years on Skype with this computer and it worked fine until I opened Skype one day a few weeks ago to find a notice that my account had been rendered inactive pending a re-registration with Microsoft. After I re-registered as instructed the screen presentation was very different, and I have been unable to initiate or receive video conferencing ever since. (Also, many of my contacts were lost in the transition, but that is of more minor significance since I assume that they can simply be re-added.)

Did you update either Skype or MacOS just before Skype stopped working?

No. Both had been in place for over a year and numerous Skype video calls.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest version of Skype?

Ok, let me check with the other experts on this.

Mac Support Specialist: syseng, Systems Engineer replied 4 months ago
syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

The issue you describe with Skype is often caused by memory errors in the router/modem that provides your Internet access. To rule out network device issues power down the router/modem that provides your Internet access and unplug the power cord as well. Wait 3 minutes. Then plug in the power cord on the router/modem and power up the device. Wait for the router/modem to completely start up. Reboot your computer after the router/modem had completed start up and test to see if the issue is resolved.
Please let me know the result and if you need further assistance. Also, please provide a positive rating (3, 4, or 5 star) as that is how I receive credit for my work.
Thanks,
David.

Do you still need assistance?

Thanks, ***** ***** and reconnecting my modem from power made no difference. Although my account still shows as active, there is nothing that indicates that I am online, nor can I see whether the person I want to call is online, and I appear to be offline to him. There is no button to click on that addresses my "online/offline status," as there formerly was before all this started. (There are "do not disturb" and "invisible" alternatives to "active.")This all started when I was required to re-register my account with Microsoft, and it continued when I did so through Google Chrome instead of Firefox. Every time I re-registered my pre-existing account came up (with an incomplete contact list). So here is a question: Is is possible to completely eliminate my current Skype account so that I can re-register an entirely new one as a new subscriber? Might that fix the problem? If so, how would I do that?

Now that Skype is part of Microsoft the process of moving accounts to Microsoft has create issues for many users. If you had a Microsoft account at any point in time before this issue occurred, it could be that when you login, the account to which you are logging in is a Microsoft account and not your Skype account. To test this, try logging in to the Skype Web application. To do that open the web page at the following link, login then select the Skype for Web link and see if all your contacts are there and if your contacts can see you online:

click here

Please let me know the result.

Logging into web.skype.com connects me to Skype and show me on line, but I appear to be off line to other Skype users and can't place or receive calls. No additional prior contacts are shown.I don't have a separate Microsoft account. Is that a problem?

If you don't have a Microsoft account, one is created for you when your Skype account is merged to Microsoft.

However, your contacts should be available on Skype for Web, and others in your contacts list should see you when you login.

So, if you have multiple emails associated with your Skype account, try logging in using one of the other emails, and also try logging in using your username and see if you can login and access your contact list under another email/username, and let me know the result.

Not working. Here's what I want to try next. I would like to completely terminate my present Skype account and expunge it from the record, and then start over by registering as a new subscriber. That way any bugs associated with my old account will die with it, including any that may be the result of having moved it from Firefox to Chrome. Hopefully the new account will be clean. I am afraid that if the old account is not closed, new registrations will simply refer to the current one.So, how do I accomplish the termination of the present account?
Not working. Here's what I want to try next. I would like to completely terminate my present Skype account and expunge it from the record, and then start over by registering as a new subscriber. That way any bugs associated with my old account will die with it, including any that may be the result of having moved it from Firefox to Chrome. Hopefully the new account will be clean. I am afraid that if the old account is not closed, new registrations will simply refer to the current one.So, how do I accomplish the termination of the present account?Note that I previously sent this message on December 8 and have not seen a reply.

My apologies for the delay.

To delete your account click the link below, sign in, and then follow the prompts to complete the deletion process.

click here

Note that Skype will not permanently delete your account for 60 days. However, during that time you can open a new account using different information such as email address.

Please let me know if you need assistance with any steps in the deletion process.

syseng
syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer