Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I need a new Iphone but understand I need to back it up on…

Customer Question
HI - I need...

HI - I need a new Iphone but understand I need to back it up on my MacBook Air. I have it plugged in, but there's no box that shows up to tell me what to do next, and nothing in the Downloads section.

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your MacBook Air?

I just downloaded the newest Sierra

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your MacBook Air? What have you tried so far?

I told you; I just pluggeed my Iphone to my computer. What do I do next so info from the phone is backed up on my Macbookair?

Technician's Assistant: The Mac Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

No - I am on hold with the phone support as well but it's been a while. So go ahead and connect me please - thanks

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mac
12/1/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 7 months ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Disconnect the iPhone from your computer. Then on your iPhone, go to Settings > your name > iCloud and turn off Find My iPhone option. Once you did that, follow the steps below to backup it to your Mac.

Open iTunes on your Mac. iTunes is the application you need to use to back it up. iTunes will recognize it (If asked to setup as new iPhone or restore from backup, choose setup as new iPhone)

Then select your iPhone icon at the upper left, next to Musics, Movies etc icons.

This will bring the Summary screen of iPhone. Now, click Backup Now button and make sure "To This Computer" is selected there. This will backup the entire iPhone to your computer.

Then disconnect the old iPhone.

When you get the new iPhone, connect the new iPhone to your computer and open iTunes. Select your iPhone at top left. Then this time click Restore Backup button and from the list of backups, select the backup of your old iPhone from the drop down menu. Click Restore.

This will restore everything from the old iPhone to new one and everything on the new iPhone will replaced with what is on old iPhone.

(Note : If you get any error when restoring backup, then click Update button there. Let iTunes update your iPhone and after updating it, restore from backup again)

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.