Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My Mac Pro infection. I was told to buy 2 apple store iTunes…

Customer Question
My Mac Pro infection...

My Mac Pro infection. I was told to buy 2 apple store iTunes cards i was told to go back and BUY 3 MORE CARDS. BEGINNING TO WONDER what to do?

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update iTunes?

This for my husband and he has never updated.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your iTunes?

He gave the 2 numbers to the man on the phone and he gave him the numbers off cards he was then told to buy 3 more.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that he can think of.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mac
11/30/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 7 months ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

No, that was a SCAM. DO NOT buy any cards and do not pay them. I will help you to clear that message. Did you get that message on Safari ?

Those kind of SCAMs have been there for many years. If you have given them the credit card or banking details, then you should call the bank or credit card company and ask them to cancel the card. If it is just the iTunes card, then they will not have access to your bank or card details. They probably already redeemed the card to their account.

To clear the infection message, please do any of the following methods.

Method 1 :

Press Command, Option and Esc keys and this will bring Force Quit. Select your browser (Safari, Firefox etc you are using) and click Force Quit. Then hold down Shift key and open the Safari or the browser. The infection message will not load. Then you can close it and open normally again.

Method 2 :

Turn off your modem/router. Then shutdown your Mac and turn it back on. Then turn on Safari and that message will not load. Close all pages in there. Then turn on your modem/internet and that should remove it.

After removing the message, you should try to redeem those cards to your account. If the scammers didn't redeem to their account, then atleast you can credit your Apple account. See this article to know how to redeem it --> https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201209

If the card is already redeemed then I'm afraid you lost that amount.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

To clear the infection message, please do any of the following methods. Method 1 :Press Command, Option and Esc keys and this will bring Force Quit. Select your browser (Safari, Firefox etc you are using) and click Force Quit. Then hold down Shift key and open the Safari or the browser. The infection message will not load. Then you can close it and open normally again. Then click on Safari menu and select Clear History. Then Clear the history. If you see "Reset Safari" there instead of "Clear History, then do the reset. Method 2 :Turn off your modem/router. Then shutdown your Mac and turn it back on. Then turn on Safari and that message will not load. Close all pages in there. Then turn on your modem/internet and that should remove it. Then click on Safari menu and select Clear History. Then Clear the history. If you see "Reset Safari" there instead of "Clear History, then do the reset. After removing the message, you should try to redeem those cards to your account. If the scammers didn't redeem to their account, then atleast you can credit your Apple account. See this article to know how to redeem it --> https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201209 If the card is already redeemed then I'm afraid you lost that amount. Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.
Could you walk janes through this on the phone?

Sorry, I will not be able to call. But all you have to do on that Mac to clear the message is, Press Command, Option and Esc keys and this will bring Force Quit. Select your Safari and click Force Quit. Then hold down Shift key and open the Safari. The infection message will not load. Then click on Safari menu and select Clear History or Reset Safari. Then do that.