Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My Mac, serial no: C02FH4U7DHJF is I guess a bit old. I have…

Customer Question
Hello My Mac, serial...

Hello My Mac, serial no: C02FH4U7DHJF is I guess a bit old. I have been getting messages: "Your browser is no longer supported". I have tried various updates unsuccessfully. I went into the apple store @ Charlestown and was advised to contact you for assistance.

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Mac?

I am sorry - is it OS X 10.6.8?

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Mac? What have you tried so far?

Many months!

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

This is my major problem

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mac
11/30/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 4 months ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

First, I will explain why you are getting the error messages such as ""Your browser is no longer supported". This is because your MacOS (operating system) is so out-dated that your internet browsers (safari, firefox, chrome, etc) can not be updated to the most recent because of the MacOS version you have. There is a limit of how far your current MacOS 10.6.8 can support.

Therefore, yes your MacOS needs to be upgraded for sure but how far will depend on the actual hardware of your mac such as processor, memory, and the year of your mac. You may not be able to run the most recent MacOS which is 10.13 High Sierra, but if that happens to be the case, then you can try and install at least 10.11 El Capitan.

So in order to proceed. I would like to know more about your hardware of your mac. If you can provide me the serial number and/or if on the mac you click the apple icon in the top left corner and then click "about this mac" It should tell you the processor, memory, and you may need to click on the "more" or "system report" button to get the actual serial number and/or year of the mac (example: "imac - late 2008").

Then from there I can let you know your options.

Mike, Mac Medic