Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Is there a way to transfer my contacts information from my…

Customer Question
Is there a way...

Is there a way to transfer my contacts information from my old i phone 5 to my current 6? (there is no service to the 5 and the Home button does not work and I want to save the old information from the 5 before I scrap it)

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model and Operating System (OS) of your smartphone?

Model A1241. What does Operating System refer to?

Technician's Assistant: The Smartphone Technician will be able to walk you through that. How long has this been going on with your A1241? What have you tried so far?

The A1241 has been out of service for a couple of years but I'd like to retrieve the contact data en masse, if possible. All I've done so far is charge it back up, done a soft restart and brought up the contacts. Because the Home button does not respond, every time I want to move from one area to another on the home screen, I have to do another restart.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mac
11/29/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 4 months ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Yes, there are several ways to transfer contacts from old iPhone to your iPhone 6. Before that, let me tell you something. Even if the home button is not working, you can continue to use the phone. There is a software based home button feature. On your iPhone, go to Settings > General > Accessibility and turn on the Assistive Touch option. When you turn this on, you will see a button on the screen. Tap it and you will see Home button along with other options.

Now, back to your question, let's do the easiest method.

On old iPhone, go to Settings > your name > iCloud or Settings > iCloud and tell me what ID you see there.

Also, what ID do you have on your iPhone 6 ?

There is no 'accessibility' option under 'General' in Settings on my old iPhone...

Are you sure ? Every iPhone has that option. Please check again. See this video --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xOpnAyTpZ4

Sorry, I see only About, Usage, Network, Bluetooth, Location Services, Auto-Lock, Passcode Lock, Restrictions, Home, Date & Time, Keyboard, International and Reset.

Choose About and tell me the version number there. I think you never updated the iPhone to the latest iOS possible.

3.1.3 (7E18)

That is too old. I think the information you provided on your question is wrong. This is not an iPhone 5. iPhone 5 released with iOS 6.

Could you please check the model again ?

Model A1241.

That is an iPhone 3G, not an iPhone 5

The instructions I sent you are for iPhone 5 and iPhone 6

It is not that easy to transfer stuffs from that phone to new phone because of the outdated iOS. You will have to use computer to do the transfer. Do you have access to a computer there ?

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

I apologize for the confusion on the model. I thought it was an iPhone 5.
I am communicating with you via a computer, so, what is the next step to transfer this information?

No need to apologize. We need to use iTunes to do the transfer. Go to this website --> https://www.apple.com/itunes/

Download iTunes and let me know once you did that

OK. Done.

Install it. Then open iTunes and connect the old iPhone. If asked to update the iPhone or restore from backup, don't do it. If asked to setup it as new iPhone, do it. Let me know once you did that

I have the old phone plugged in pn one side and the mew phone connected on the other side. The itunes site has asked to download and set up and I rejected that but has not pffered further options. What next?

Disconnect the new iPhone. Then in iTunes, select your old iPhone nad this will bring the Summary page of iPhone. Now, on the left side, do you see Info option ?

On iTunes site I see check boxes for Send me iTunes updates, news, special offers and another box for Keep me up to date, etc and a Download Now button but I've already pressed the Download. Then it shows hardware requirements, etc. I think I'm on the wrong page.

You need to install iTunes after downloading it. Open the downloaded file and install it

When I go to my downloads and double click on iTunes 64 set-up, it asks if I want to run the file. Is that what you mean by 'install'?

Yes

after clicking on 'run' the installation took place. Then I clicked on 'repair/reinstall' and it completed installing, but now when I double click on iTunes set-up it goes back to the repair or remove iTunes options. I still haven't gotten to the summary page...

You are trying to reinstall it. You already installed it. Now look on your desktop and you will see iTunes. Open it

If asked to update or restore from backup, cancel that message. Don't do it.

Also, don't connect the new iPhone

Ok,I've got iTunes open and no phones plugged into the computer. Now what?

Connect old iPhone. Does iTunes recognize it ?

Since it uses a very older version of iOS, it may create some problems.

It asked to update and I opted out of that screen, but offered no other options.

Do you see a small iPhone icon at the top left in iTunes ?

It shows iPhone 3G, backups and options.

Do a backup to computer by clicking Backup button.

Now, click on the Info in left side. Enable "Sync Contact"s option and then click Apply button. If asked to Merge or Erase, choose Merge

The 'Back Up Now' option is not available. Under 'Options' there is Auto sync when phone is connected, sync only checked songs, convert higher bit rate songs, and manually manage music. Also a 'reset warnings' button. Also there are 'sync' and 'done' buttons at very bpttom of page.

On the left side, do you see Info ?

Select 'info'?

Click on the Info in left side. Enable "Sync Contact"s option and then click Apply button. If asked to Merge or Erase, choose Merge

Ok. Done. Old phone says 'Sync in Progress'.

Let it complete

39;Sync' message has disappeared.

Now, on your new iPhone, go to Settings > your name > iCloud and turn off Contacts. If asked to erase or keep, select Keep.

Then connect it to your computer. Select the iPhone icon. Click Info, enable "Sync Contacts" and click Merge if asked. Click Apply

Can I plug in the new phone now to transfer the data to it?

Yes, on your new iPhone, go to Settings > your name > iCloud and turn off Contacts. If asked to erase or keep, select Keep.

Then connect the new phone to your computer (and disconnect old iPhone). Select the iPhone icon. Click Info, enable "Sync Contacts" and click Merge if asked. Click Apply

How is it going ?

I selected 'Sync Contacts, 'Apply' and then 'Done'. Now iTunes notes that the settings for iPhone "Steven's Phone" have been changed and asks to apply the changes. Apply?

Yes

I selected 'Apply'. The iTunes home site returned along with the iPhone icon. Next?

Check your iPhone's contacts. Do you see the contacts there ?

Transfer did not take place yet. I clicked on iPhone icon and 'Info' and the 'Sync Coctacts' and 'All Contacts' are still selected. Lower on the screen it says 'Advanced' over a shaded rectangle and inside it says 'Replace information on thos phone, above a check bpx for 'Contacts'. Select this box and select 'Sync' then 'Done'?

Don't select Replace. It will delete all existing contacts from the phone. Under All Contacts what app is selected in the dropdown ?

No drop down under 'All Contacts'. There are headings for 'Sync Calendars' and 'Other' and 'Advanced', then sync and done at very bottom.

What do you see next to "Sync Contacts with" : ?

39;Windows Contacts'

Disconnect the new iPhone. Connect the old iPhone and sync it again. make sure "Sync Contacts" option is enabled and the "Windows Contacts" option is chosen there. Click Apply or Sync. Then sync the new iPhone same way

If asked to Merge or Replace, do Merge

Still no transfer, no results. I think we should end this exchange. What is the company policy if we don't reach desired results?

The problem is due to the too old iOS on the iPhone. It is 8 years old and no longer supported.

If you are not satisfied, then you can contact the customer support at***@******.*** and they will cancel this question and refund you.

Please don't rate the answer anything to process refund

Ok. Thank you.

No problem

Ashik, Mac Technician