Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I’ve been trying to get my I Mac desktop to stop a flashing…

Customer Question
Hi, I’ve been trying...

Hi, I’ve been trying to get my I Mac desktop to stop a flashing question mark after I plugged it in

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iMac?

Not Yosemite but 2 after that, but I’m not sure?

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your iMac? What have you tried so far?

Just today

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I have been trying to clean up my system for resale

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mac
11/29/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 6 months ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

The flashing question mark "?" usually indicates that the computer can't find the system folder or the hard drive has failed. Normally, this can be resolved by booting your mac into "recovery mode" and then reinstalling the os which helps the computer find the system folder once again. Don't worry reinstalling the OS does not erase your data. You mentioned 3 after Yosemite 10.10, so then there was 10.11 El Capitan and then 10.12 Sierra, and then 10.13 High Sierra. So any of these you should be able to do the following:

1. Restart your mac
  2. immediately hold down command and R on your keyboard
  3. If done correctly you should get to a main menu
  4. choose "reinstall OS" - don't worry, this does not erase your files/data it just reinstalls the system files and folders.
  5. follow the onscreen instructions which is basically next, next, next

If I have helped in any way, please consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.

I got to the main menu, but it says I cannot install OS X Mavericks on my drive because it’s not formatted? Now what? Help?
is 39dollars along with the original 5.00? Making it 44.00?

I am sorry for the delay. Also, I will leave the customer service information so that you feel more comfortable in checking the chargers you have mentioned. I want you to feel confident your getting what you want.

OK then, if the mac is stating that it needs to be formatted then that means you may have already been successful at erasing the drive or when you mentioned you have been cleaning up your system may have deleted some system files to cause this error with the question mark. SO therefore try this before doing the steps I mentioned before regarding to the reinstalling the OS. To format the drive you will need to do the following:

1. Restart your mac
  3. If done correctly you should get to a main menu like before
  4. This time to format the drive first, choose "disk utility"
  5. Then, within disk utility on the left hand side see if you see your main primary Hard drive which by default is usually called "Macintosh HD"
  6. Then, after you have the Macintosh HD selected, on the right side menu choose "erase"
  7. Then you can name the drive Macintosh HD and for the format choose "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)"
  8. Then click erase or ok

Once the drive is erased, close out Disk utility and then it should take you back to the main menu. Once your back at the main menu choose "reinstall OS" again and it should now let you install the OS.

Let me know what happens.

Customer Service

http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us - you can chat or email from this link.

You can also call - 1(###) ###-####/p>

Thank you.