Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I can't export (share) my imovie project. 10.1.2. I've tried…

Customer Question
I can't export (share)...

I can't export (share) my imovie project

Technician's Assistant: Which imo.im product do you have?

10.1.2

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your imo.im software?

I've tried lowering the res, cut and paste into a new project. Someone suggested creating a new library but I don't see that option. The original files are all .mov so that shouldn't be the issue

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

I did share to itunes, thinking it would create an MP4 file. It did the share but the file wasn't created. I just want to transfer this project to Adobe Premiere

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Mac
11/28/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Jeremy K, Mac Enthusiast replied 2 months ago
Jeremy K
Jeremy K, Mac Enthusiast

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Ok - so as you've already noted, the easiest thing to do is to export to MP4. iMovie makes this extremely difficult for reasons which aren't entirely clear to anyone. Have you tried to do a share to "file" (instead of iTunes)? If you select this option and specify in the pop-up box that comes up that you want quality to be set to "High" (resolution of 1080p should be fine too) this should export to an MP4 that you can import pretty easily into Premiere.

Let me know how that works and we can discuss other options if needed.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service and fully answer your question – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. If finished, please take a moment to accept this answer and rate my service. Thank you for your business!

That's the original problem, when I try to export to file it says share failed

Ah ok, thanks for the clarification. Can you give me the whole error message that it displays?

That's all it says. Exporting "project" has failed. Cannot create file

Ok, so there are a few things that can cause this. Unfortunately iMovie doesn't have good error trapping, so will fail for a few reasons. First - are you sure that your Mac has plenty of space free to handle the (potentially large) mp4 file that this will generate? If there isn't sufficient space it will give you something like that error message. Second possibility is that you may have a 3rd party codec installed for video conversion which may confound iMovie. To fix this, go to /Library/QuickTime and remove any 3rd party codecs you have. After a restart of your mac, start iMovie and see if you can do an export to file now.

Sorry, let me try this and I'll get back to you

Not a problem - good luck! And keep me posted.

And just FYI - I'm on British time, so may be offline if you come back later today, but will check first thing in the am to see if you've got follow-up questions.

There is only 70GB available on the hard drive, but I also tried saving it to my external hard drive that has 874GB available and it still doesn't work. I'll look into the 3rd party CODEC

Worth noting that boot volume will need to have spare space as well (just in case you're using a separate data volume). Good luck clearing codecs - hope that fixes it!

I have Apple Intermediate Codec.Component
and
Apple MPEG2Codecincontinent
Are either of them third party?

No, those are the two Apple defaults. So you're good on that front as well.

And also worth noting that this issue could be triggered by any video conversion codecs that may be running on the particular clip, or a media type that you were formerly able to convert but now can't do. Some people have resolved this issue by removing the offending media from an iMovie project. You may want to test out the export to file feature on several different iMovie projects, particularly a simple one, to see if it is just one or two projects that are problematic for importing to premiere.

is it possible that there's not enough space for for the boot volume? And is there anything I do about it?

Yes, and No, unfortunately, iMovie is pretty inflexible on these issues. All very good reasons for you to be migrating to a proper product like Premiere.

I'll try that. But it's this big project I need to export. And I've exhorted it several times before. Now that I'm done, I can't export it
I just tried to do it with a small project with just 4 pictures and it failed
It won't even export to my external drive

Have you tried a youtube export? It is technically possible to extract video as mp4 from youtube if you can get it in there.

I'm about to go offline- but happy to help you with the tricky process of extracting from youtube if you want to give that a spin. Just drop me a line here.

This looks like it might work. I'll keep you posted. Thank you!

Fantastic - hope you're all set!

YouTube worked perfectly! Thanks again

Hooray! Glad we've got you out of iMovie - it's such a pain. Enjoy premiere!

(and don't forget to accept and rate this answer when you have a free second)

Jeremy K
Jeremy K
Jeremy K, Mac Enthusiast