Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have an Apple Mac Pro, I just updated the Sierra hardware,

Customer Question
I have an Apple...

I have an Apple Mac Pro, I just updated the Sierra hardware , and now I am getting a blank black screen with a flashing white folder icon with a question mark .....what is going on?

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a PRAM reset on your Mac Pro (rebooting and holding down Command, Option, P, and R)? Or rebooting in Recovery Mode (holding down Command and R)?

No I will try this now thanks

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

No thanks

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mac
11/28/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Richard, Apple Software Engineer replied 4 months ago
Richard, Apple Software Engineer

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Shut down your Mac.
Find Command (⌘), Option, P, and R on your keyboard.
Turn on your Mac.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
Release the keys.

Let me know how it then operates please

How long should be holding the keys down for until the second start up sound occurs? I’ve done this and the same white folder icon appears

It will normally occur within a few seconds

Ok this never happened
I’ve tried this again and nothing happens

Thank you

Power off the mac

Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window

choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.

Click the First Aid tab.

Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").

Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.

Ok when choosing start up disk, there is nothing to select.
There is a restart button , and if I select this it tells me that I can’t change the start up disk to the selected disk
I’ve backed out of all these options and have restarted

Look at the top please you will see first aid there to click on

Same white flashing folder appears

yes, but you have not done the instructions yet..

Look at the top please you will see first aid there to click on when doing my instructions

Hi
I have OS X base system to choose from and this lets me run repairs.
I can see Macintosh HD , but when I choose this I am unable to click first aid

ok, choose OS X base system and run a repair then restart

Ok so I’ve restarted, and the flashing folder icon still appears

ok, then we need to attempt a reinstall as it cannot access the hard drive, though the face we could not repair the Macintosh HD is a concern.

But do the following

Power off the mac

Then choose to reinstall the OSX and tell me how it then operates, please.

Thank you

Thanks for your help, I will try this tomorrow.

You are welcome

I will mark this question to remain open so If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And please take a second to rate my service for now by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit

Thank you

Richard, Apple Software Engineer