Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My iPod is disabled. Can you help me. I am not sure. at

Customer Question
My iPod is disabled...

My iPod is disabled. Can you help me

Technician's Assistant: How old is your iPod?

I am not sure. at least 4 years old. it was my wife's

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your iPod?

I connected it my laptop and tried using iTunes

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Video Expert to know before I connect you?

My wife gave it to me and I started setting it up to use it. but I forgot my password ***** tried too many times

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mac
11/27/2017
Mac Support Specialist: John T. F., Apple Consultant replied 7 months ago
John T. F., Apple Consultant

Hello! My name is***** will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information. Please give me a minute to read over your submission...

Is it asking for a passcode OR is it the password ***** your Apple ID you have forgotten?

it is the passcode to the iPod
are you there?

Thanks.

The following procedure is a special device firmware update mode. It will erase your Apple device, remove any passcodes, and then re-sync user data once it is done (provided you have a backup of some kind).

Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of iTunes on your computer before attempting this:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

(Mac users can run System Preferences > “App Store” ( or Software Update for older OS X releases) > "Check now" to get the latest version for their system in most cases.)

-> Open iTunes on your computer and connect the Apple device directly to it

-> Turn off the Apple device (press the sleep/wake button on the top until you see the red slider and slide the red slider across to the right OR until the device completely shuts off).

-> Hold down the sleep/wake button (on the top) AND the home button (on the front) for 10 seconds

-> Release the sleep/wake button but CONTINUE to hold the home button, until...

-> iTunes should alert you it’s detected a device in recovery mode, click OK and continue along for the restore.

Note: it may ask whether you wish to restore a backup from iTunes or from iCloud. You should use which ever has the latest backup of your personal data.

If it doesn’t work the 1st time, start from the beginning and try again. If iTunes *still* doesn't recognize the device, plug it into a DIFFERENT USB port and try once more.

If you receive misc errors when attempting to install/uninstall or sync after installation, try temporarily disabling any anti-virus or firewall software you may be running.