Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My Safari 11.0.1 crashes every time I start filling in a web…

Customer Question
Hi My Safari 11.0.1...

Hi My Safari 11.0.1 crashes every time I start filling in a web form. I'm using El Capitan. Solution?

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages?

No. It just disappears and I have to relaunch.

Technician's Assistant: How much storage do you have left on your device?

Lots. 313 GB

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mac
11/27/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 8 months ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Do you have this issue with any particular site ?

All sites.

It is possible that the Safari preferences are corrupted. First, go to this website --> https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

Download the anti malware application. Open it and run a scan.

If it find any malware, then delete them. Close Safari. Then in Finder, hold down Option key, click on Go menu and select Library. Open Preferences and trash the file named com.apple.Safari.plist and other safari related preferences.

Then go back to Library, open Caches folder and trash com.apple.Safari folder.

Then open Safari and see if it is working now.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

Thanks. I will try that and get back to you!

No problem. The above steps will not delete Safari database, it just reset some preferences. If that didn't work, then we can do a full reset of Safari

I did the malware scan. Removed one item. Rebooted. Safari crashed again. Removed the plists. Rebooted. Safari still crashes. Next steps?

That means the Safari database is corrupted. Open Safari. Click on Safari menu and select Export Bookmarks. Export and save to desktop or any other location.

Then close Safari. Hold down Option key, click on Go menu and select Library. This time, trash Safari folder.

Then open Containers folder and if you see a folder named "com.apple.Safari", then trash it.

Open Safari and see if it is working or not

Did all that. Rebooted. Safari crashed again. It seems to always do it on the third field I start filling in. Doesn't matter what order I fill them. I also have Firefox and it doesn't crash on the same form. Next steps?

Go to Apple > App Store > Updates. Is there an update for Safari there ?

It says "no updates available".

We've already reset Safari and cleared some malware. It is possible that the issue is related to system files than Safari itself. We can try reinstalling the OS X

Reinstalling OS won't delete any of your files. It will just replace the corrupted system files with new one and that should fix the problem unless it is hardware related.

Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command and R keys at the same time for 15 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS Utilities screen. From there, click Reinstall Mac OS. Then follow the instructions to reinstall your Mac OS.

If that didn't work, then restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command, Option and R keys at the same time for 15 seconds and this will boot your Mac to installation screen. Follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

I entered my apple ID, entered the verification code received on my phone, clicked install, and then got a "This item is temporarily unavailable. Try again later" message!Ugh! After three retries, I guess I'll take a break and try again 'much later'.
On where do you see this message ? After clicking Reinstall Mac OS ?
after I choose which drive to install on. (there's only one) I'm using an Airbook.
Do you have the backup of your files?
a Time Machine backup about 5 days ago.

Great ! Then restart to Command, Option and R keys and then try Reinstall from there.

Also, may I ask, why don't you upgrade the OS X to latest ? That will also fix and upgrade Safari

Just been too busy to get around to it the update. And usually I wait to the bugs are worked out.

Me as well. However, you missed 10.12 Sierra. The latest is 10.13 High Sierra. You can either reinstall the OS X (Command, Option and R) or upgrade to latest macOS (many old programs will not work on High Sierra like Office 2011 etc. So check your old apps before the upgrade if you prefer to do that)

Yeah, I use Office 2011. Gotta go to some meetings now, so I'll address this later. Thanks for the advice. I'll keep in touch.

Then don't do the High Sierra upgrade. Office 2011 works in Sierra though

Good morning, Ashik. I haven't tried installing Sierra yet. I have another busy day today but I will get to it. Since resetting Safari's plists, etc., I notice that the YouTube videos I watch in the morning with a cup of tea now all start with ads and they have lots of those little yellow lines inserted, which didn't happen before I made the changes that you suggested yesterday. Is there any way to make them go away? (I hope so, 'cause it sure spoils the user experience!)

Good Morning. No problem, take your time.

Re the Youtube, since we reset Safari it reset some extensions like adblocker. You can reinstall it back from here --> https://adblockplus.org/