Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Trying to resolve a BT problem with a stored memory reset,

Customer Question
Trying to resolve a...

Trying to resolve a BT problem with a stored memory reset, the iMac has been in reboot mode for more than 30 minutes... what

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iMac?

Latest iOS... it is an older iMac 2010

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your iMac? What have you tried so far?

All morning the iMac would not recognize the keyboard while the pad and mouse worked just tried the rest of stored memory via option, command, p, r keys depressed during reboot.... still hasn’t rebooted

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Yeah, w/o keyboard, mouse or track pad what do I use to interact? Prayer?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mac
Still in boot mode... 40 + min so far
11/27/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Pete, Computer Engineer replied 4 months ago
Pete, Computer Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

If the iMac is still unresponsive after several hours then try pressing and holding the power button to shut it down.

Then try restarting again.

Let me know if it responds normally?

The boot process has stopped at the same point where it failed to progress further earlier
The screen had gone blank. Then came backonwith the boot process marginally advanced but stalled again
No i do not want grant remote access
The boot process has shown me a screen telling me there isnt a blue tooth keyboard connected
The i mac is active butmy B/T issue is still there
Apps are opening but very slowly
Bt keyboard setup is continuing to clock slowing the opening of apps. The bt mouse is functionibg
Are you there?

Sorry I was offline earlier when you replied.

You can ignore any automated remote assistance offers that may pop up - they are sent automatically by the site and not by me.

Have you tried fitting fresh batteries to the BT keyboard?

Once the keyboard is detected, the iMac should boot normally.

If changing the batteries does not work, try connecting a USB keyboard and let me know if that allows the iMac to boot up normally again?

--------------------
Happy Holidays!
Your satisfaction is my priority; I hope I have earned 5 stars today!
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press Submit at the top of your question page to finish; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back after rating me if you need any further assistance at all.
Pete.
--------------------

These are the most rudimentary problem resolution suggestions. Had I not exhausted the basics first I never would have spent money on solutions i’ve already tried. My original problem identification to this site said that I had tried several solutions, even rebooted while simultaneously holding down the option, command, p, r, keys to clear stored start up preferences. When that failed to resolve the issue I spent $30 on contacting ‘just answers’ hoping there was knowledge beyond mine.

Sorry I did not know that you had already tried all the basics.

Did you try connecting a USB keyboard? That was not mentioned in your original problem identification.

I have an old Dell usb keyboard that was connected, went to preferences and attempted to change keyboard type. Folloed instructions and after 1 hour waiting for ‘identifying your keyboard’ to respond gave up on that too. Regardless, a usb keyboard wont tell me why, all of a sudden BT assistant doesnt recognize my apple BT keyboard as it does the mouse

Could the BT keyboard be faulty?

Have you tried connecting a different BT keyboard?

Have you tested your existing BT keyboard on a different iMac?

Issue us resolved through my online research, + trial and error. BT assist recognized the keyboard and i was able to use it

Glad to hear you got it resolved!
Have a great day :)
Pete.

Pete, Computer Engineer