Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

When I went to turn on my iPad, I get an icon of a battery…

Customer Question
When I went to...

When I went to turn on my iPad, I get an icon of a battery and itunes

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iPad?

Safari

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your iPad? What have you tried so far?

I don't use it much, so I went to start it up, and it said the battery was 10%, so I tried to recharge but it wouldn't take it. At this point I have tried nothing because the device won't let me.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mac
11/25/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Josh, Mac Support replied 7 months ago
Josh, Mac Support

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

Please press and hold down the POWER and HOME buttons together on your iPad until you see the Apple icon. After you see the icon, release the buttons and the iPad will restart

I get the same response the battery and iTunes icons. looks like the battery or a connector has an arrow going to iTunes.

Do you have a computer available with iTunes on it?

I don't want you to connect to my device and yes i have a computer with iTunes.

Plug in the iPad into that computer and open iTunes

I don't need to buy a service , I just need some help on this one issue

I plugged it in and opened iTunes and now it says I am having iPad recovery I plugged it in and opened iTunes and now it says I am having iPad recovery mode
By being restoring my iPad am I losing data

Did you click on Update? (not Restore)

I think I clicked on restore and it looks like the iPad is starting from scratch like I've lost all my data

Did you back up your data through iCloud or iTunes?

I did not back up anything I don't think you told me too

Yes, I asked that you plug in your iPad and open iTunes

You mentioned that you already started running a recovery/reset before I could provide you with anymore steps. Did you have your iPad backing up through iCloud automatically?

No I didn't do any back up. Is there a way to connect my iPad to my computer and have it restore all the data

Did you have it backed up through iTunes on your computer?

This is getting very difficult. Right now I have my iPad connected to my computer and it asked me if I wanted to restore my iPad through iTunes and so I am now connected to iTunes what should I do next

Did you perform a factory reset on the iPad?

I think so.

What is showing up on your screen?

I can't continue to get help this way you've sent me down a rabbit hole and now I am going to go pay someone to help me out thank you very much good night
Mac Support Specialist: Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 7 months ago
Kris R
Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer

Do you still need help here?

if you can tell me how to connect my iPad to my iMac desktop and transfer all the data that got lost, that would be helpful.

Are you speaking to me on the iMac now?

i am
this is way too slow, please hang up and find someone else to confuse...

OK - to allow me to connect to your PC/MAC, you must install remote access software. The software is below, use the "Family and Friends" version. It's free.
https://www.teamviewer.com/en/
Once installed I need the ID and Password ***** displays, i do not need the one you created, I am looking for the one that TeamViewer gives you when you open the program.
Thanks
Kris

I will never give anyone that I don't know controller for my computer that's ridiculous

I am going to opt out for another expert to assist.

Have a nice day

Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 7 months ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

I can help you without remote assistance.

please do and I hate this way the messages are going back and forth. It's very time consuming this way.

If you already have the itunes and cord icon that states to plug into itunes then that is what you would need to do as itunes will then try and reinstall the iOS to the ipad. However, since it is already in the state of recovery mode, you will not be able to back up the ipad at this time. Therefore, after you try and restore the phone, if you have any backups that you created previously in itunes or icloud you can always apply those when your done. But in order to get your ipad functioning again you will need to do the following:

1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.
  2. If iTunes is already open, close it. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend or family member if needed.
  3. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data . It may take a while just keep an eye on it as you may need to download the file and open it. Just follow the instructions on the screen and you should be fine. If not let me know

However in step 3 if update is not an option or does not work, repeat the steps and choose restore this time. Remember though restore will need to erase the data.

I am sorry it is time consuming but that is why there is also remote assistance.