Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I cannot log in after changing my password, A few weeks ago,

Customer Question
I cannot log in...

I cannot log in after changing my password

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

A few weeks ago

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I have not been able to log in for quite some time. I believe the last time was February or March

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mac
11/24/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Karthik, Mac Enthusiast replied 4 months ago
Karthik
Karthik, Mac Enthusiast

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

It sounds like you are unable to login to the apple ID after changing the password. Before we proceed further, I would like to ask you few question about this problem. May I know what is the exact error message you are getting when you tried to login with your apple account?

The error message I receive is that it is an password ***** is Apple ID
No I would not prefer you securely connect. I have tried to re-install a disk but it asks for a password ***** does not say where to find the password.
I put my ID I changed in. Then another screen comes up that asks for another if. This screen says: “The account uses an iCloud password ***** log in. If you need to change the pasword, use another device to change it at Appleid.apple.com

Let me help you in that. Now please click on the link below so that I can help you in taking remote access. http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=33866740-dd07-46b5-9b5d-2ebcc1ee7aa5

I can only put this in I’m my phone or my iPad, not my computer. Is that going to help with accessing my computer?

I am sorry, You can ignore that previous message. Now Please follow this steps and it will help you in resetting the apple password ***** the different device, either it could be computer or different phone.

1. You should be able to reset your password ***** the site: http://iforgot.apple.com/

2. Enter your Apple ID and click Continue.

3. Select Email authentication followed by Next.

4. Check your email and there should be a message from Apple with instructions on how to reset your password.

5. If you can’t use your email address, another option you have available is to reset your password ***** answering the security questions you created when you setup your account.

6. Enter your Apple ID and click Continue.

-Select Answer security questions and click Continue.

-Set the birthday you used for the account and clicking Continue.

- Answer the security questions you picked when you set the account up.

7. If you answer these successfully, you should be able to reset your password ***** access your AppleID again.

* IF YOU FORGOT THE APPLE ID ITSELF: If you go to the above mentioned site you will see an option in the lower, middle of the page labeled “Forgot your Apple ID?”. If you click this, it will ask for some rather simple information that you should know as the owner of the account ( first name, last name, current email address plus the ability to enter additional email addresses if it has changed since you created the Apple ID).

8. Once you have the Apple ID and have reset the password, test out that it is working properly by signing into the Apple ID management site:

https://appleid.apple.com/ (under "Manage Your Apple account")

9. Once you have the ID and password, restart your iPhone and sign in.

I have already followed these steps to try and log in. I changed my Apple ID, logged in and was taken to another screen to log in. This is when I receive the error message that “My is is an Apple ID and it is needed to log in.”

Okay, Try to login again.

I did and it will not allow me to log in.

In this case I will opt-out and allow another expert to take over. Other experts will be able to see this question and the conversation which you had with me and they will be providing you a proper solution. Thank you for your patience.

Ok
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 4 months ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

Can I please have your apple id email address. I would like to see what options we may have. Thanks.

You are not able to remote in to my device, I do not believe, because I cannot log in. Karthik wanted to do that when he was working with me. He sent me a link to log into but I am not communicating with you from my computer because I cannot log in.

OK thank you. Do you now have access to the following email and do you know the full email address of:

g•••••.com

If you have access to this email I can send you a reset password ***** from apple so you can reset your password. Let me know.

Sorry the email was sent to c•••••@g•••••.com so let me know if you have access to this email. I am assuming its the***@******.***

If you have access to***@******.***, please check your inbox and spam or junk folders for an apple reset password ***** Thanks let me know.

I received the email on how to reset my password ***** as I said I have already done that and I still cannot log in to my computer. What do I need to do on that case?

Wait when you say log into my computer, what exactly are you trying to do with your apple id and password?

Log into my computer

Your computer password ***** ***** from your apple id and password. Is this a mac or pc?

I understand that. I have not been able to log into my computer. I was prompted to change my passeord and I did. When Ivtru to log in with the changed password ***** get the messsge that I need to log in with my Apple ID.

OK, now I know whats going on better. In that case, do you have any other devices that you can use to get this email so you can reset the password ***** I can see if there is another option on this end but it is very limited a reseting from the email is usually primary.

If not you still have another chance if yo have a mac computer

I have a Mac computer

OK and you dont have any other devices you can use for email right now correct?

I do.I have a phone and an iPad. But once again, I have changed my password ***** as the instructions you sent said to do and I still cannot log in.

OK before we try to try some things on the mac besides the password ***** you have already reset, did you already restart the mac and make sure you have wifi network signal and it still doesn't work. If you have already done that we will just have to try a different method which I will explain after.

I have restarted it and it still does not work

OK then here is what you can try on the mac:

1. Turn off your Mac (choose Apple > Shut Down).
  2. Press the power button while holding down Command + R. The Mac will boot into Recovery mode. When you see the load bar appear you can let go of the keys. It may take a few minutes to load.
  3. Select Disk Utility and press Continue.
  4. Choose Utilities > Terminal.
  5. Enter resetpassword (all one word, lowercase letters) and press Return
  6. Select the volume containing the account (normally this will be your Main hard drive).
  7. Choose the account to change with Select the User Account.
  8. Enter a new password ***** re-enter it into the password *****
  9. Enter a new password ***** related to the password.
  10. Click Save.
  11. A warning will appear that the password ***** changed, but not the Keychain Password. Click OK.
  12. Click Apple > Shut Down.

Now start up the Mac. You can login using the new password.

We can go one step at a time, but just try to see if you can get the mac into recovery mode with command + r first and let me know if it works.

While your trying that I can try and verify your other option on your apple id account, just need to verify your birthdate.

I got it to recovery mode but there is no utilities terminal as it says in step #4. I have a Mac book air. There is an option to restore the disk, partition the disk, erase the disk and provide first aid for the disk.
No there is nothing that says utilities

It sounds like you were in disk utility when you said "There is an option to restore the disk, partition the disk, erase the disk and provide first aid for the disk." Get out of disk utility and then from the main menu like the pic I sent you look at the very top for utilities but not while your in disk utility.

When I type reset password ***** says: command not found

make sure it is like below with no spaces:

resetpassword

I spelled it wrong. It says no available users and will not let me type anything in th space

IN that case we will to try a different way.

Try this:

restart computer and hold the Command key (or the apple key for older keyboards) and the "S" key.

2. wait for terminal show - this will look like a bunch of white text

3. you can release the keys you did in step 1 once you see the white text appear.

4. when the white text stops loading, type /sbin/mount -uaw

5. press enter

6. type rm /var/db/.applesetupdone

7. press enter

8. type reboot

9. press enter

This will let you create a new admin account when you reboot your computer.

So instead of doing command + r like last time trying booting holding command + s instead

How is it going, any luck?

It allows me to reset the password ***** I enter it and it seems like Ibam logging in and it goes to the swhat looks like the same screen. I put the password ***** and it tell me theaccount uses an iCloud password ***** log in again.

Try this. Are you able to turn off the wifi from the login screen?

No

OK on another device try and go to https://appleid.apple.com and sign in with your apple id. Let me know if you can sign into it from here.

If you can sign into this website, I was going to have you look under the "devices" section and see if your computer was listed as a device so we can "remove" it from the list to release the icloud account from it.

It shows Windows was logged into on Nov 22 but no Mac Book air

Try this : Go to www.icloud.com on the same device and sign in with your apple id and password ***** look at the My Devices section.

Sorry when you sign into icloud.com click the "settings icon" and then look for my devices

I am hoping your mac shows up here instead.

My phone could not connect with the link. My iPad does not appear to be connected to the icloud

Thats right try this. Go to www.icloud.com on the ipad again but when you get there, touch the icon at the bottom of the phone to bring up more options. It looks like a square with an arrow pointing up. Then navigate to "request desktop site" and then you should be able to view it better.

If this doesn't work does anyone else use this mac?

I was able to access my devices on the iPad and the Mac book is not on it

Does anyone else have an account on this mac?

No, I am the only use

Do you remember what your username was for your mac. Not the apple id but the name that shows on the login screen on the mac?

Because we have one last thing to try. It's similar to what we tried but it is different.

Cheryl

OK then...(typing)

• Restart your computer again
  • Hold down Command + S again
  • Then when the white text stops and you can type, type the following:
  • mount -uw /
  • Then hit enter
  • Then type the following:
  • launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.opendirectoryd.plist
  • Then hit enter
  • Then type the following:
  • passwd cheryl
When I press Command S it goes to the log in screen. I did Command r and typed this in and it said Command not found.

Well, Cheryl, we have done all the tricks to try and get into your mac. The only other option would be to try and erase the hard drive clean and start over fresh but then you probably cant loos any information. If you can let me know but if not I can opt out of this question to see if other experts can see something I may have missed.

Ok let’s try to let someone else look at it before we make the decision to erase the hard drive.
Mac Support Specialist: Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer replied 4 months ago
Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please try the methods mentioned in this article and let me know the result.

Regards

Jins

Jins M. N.
Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer