Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My computer skills are moderate at best. I recently updated…

Customer Question
My computer skills are...

My computer skills are moderate at best. I recently updated to Mac OS High Sierra, I am at a total loss and I deeply regret having done so. I need your assistance in un-installing the upgrade.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Mac? What have you tried so far?

I did the upgrade about Monday or so of this week.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I'm assuming that removing the upgrade will also take me out of icloud which is also what I want to do.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 day by:
11/25/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Jeremy K, Mac Enthusiast replied 7 months ago
Jeremy K
Jeremy K, Mac Enthusiast

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Ok, I'll start my answer with a few key preliminaries - you CAN revert an update to a new version of MacOS, but it is a complicated process. But before we do anything, you'll want to be sure you have a complete backup of your system.

And one other thing to note - downgrading won't take you out of iCloud. I'll be happy to take you through the process of downgrading but getting you off iCloud is a totally separate process. It's definitely possible, but will probably be worth opening up a separate question to answer that. Are you ready to go?

First, let me again emphasise that you should perform a COMPLETE backup of your system before you take any of these steps.

We will take advantage of a feature called Recovery Mode. To access thsi, you need to shut down your Mac and then as you restart (after the "bong" sound) press shift-Option/Alt-Command-R all together. Once booting is complete, you will see the MacOS Utilities screen. From the options shown, choose "Reinstall macOS".
Click Continue and follow the on screen instructions, select your startup disk (probably called "Macintosh HD") and click Install. Your Mac will restart once the installation is complete. Upon rebooting, your mac should be refreshed back to the original OS, which may be more than one version back - so it may be necessary to upgrade back up to the version before "High Sierra".

My goal is to provide you with excellent service and fully amswer your question – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. If finished, please take a moment to accept this answer and rate my service. Thank you for your business!

Just to add one more thing - if you've been using Time Machine to backup your Mac consistently, you should be able to revert your system to a previous version even more easily than the procedure I've just outlined above.