Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My iPhone 5 is showing a message -

Customer Question
My iPhone 5 is...

My iPhone 5 is showing a message - support.apple.com/iphone/restore. What does that mean. My phone will not work

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iPhone?

I'm not sure

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your iPhone? What have you tried so far?

It just did this about an hour ago. I have tried a hard reset. First I get the apple icon then it goes to the black screen with the message and the iTunes icon

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Smartphone Expert to know before I connect you?

Just want to use my phone ;)

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mac
11/24/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 7 months ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

If you have done the following reset (Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.) and it still went to the support.apple.com restore screen which is officially called the recovery mode screen then you will have no choice but to plug in your phone into your computer, open itunes, and try and restore the phone.

However, you will not be able to back up your phone before you do a restore since it is forcing itself into this recovery mode state. Therefore, you will be able to use your phone again but restoring will erase everything that is on your phone. If you have backed up to itunes in the past or use icloud then you should be able to apply those backups to where you can get at least some data back. Here are the steps to restore the phone.

1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.
  2. If iTunes is already open, close it. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend or family member if needed.
  3. While your device is connected, put it into recovery mode You do this by doing the next step
  4. Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. You may not need to do this step since your phone is stuck in this recovery mode already.
  5. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose restore. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS. It may take a while just keep an eye on it as you may need to download the file and open it. Just follow the instructions on the screen and you should be fine. If not let me know

Let me know if you need any help along the way. Take your time. I can always remote assist to your computer if needed.

If I have helped in any way, please consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.