Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I'm unable to download newly or previously purchased movies…

Customer Question
I'm unable to download...

I'm unable to download newly or previously purchased movies or iTunes using iTunes on my Mac or TV on iPhone or iPad.

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Mac? What about your iPad?

Sierra with the latest iTunes.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

On the Mac I very quickly get an error stating "There was a problem downloading "title". An unknown error occurred (306). on iPad or iPhone the blue spinner just spins and spins and never completes.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Mac
This is at home on Wifi through my Airport Extreme router. If I go to a different Wifi network, it works OK.
11/23/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Karthik, Mac Enthusiast replied 5 months ago
Karthik
Karthik, Mac Enthusiast

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Before we proceed further, I would like to ask you few question about this problem. Are you able to access the iTunes account in your Mac or in your iPhone?

no problem with iTunes in general. I can purchase a show and stream it on all my devices. But, when I select the download link, the download fails.

Did you updated your iTunes application in the computer?

12.7.1.14

May I know whether this problem arise after updating the iTunes or before updating the iTunes? The reason why I am asking is we can try to restore the previous version.

It's been happening for months. iTunes was just updated last week. So, no I don't want to recover an older iTunes. There are several computers in our house. 1 pre-Sierra that all exhibit the same symptoms. Besides my iPhone and iPad also fail to download, but can stream. I think it has something to do with the Airport Extreme or possibly my WiMax router from my ISP.

In this case I will opt-out and allow another expert to take over. Other experts will be able to see this question and the conversation which you had with me and they will be providing you a proper solution. Thank you for your patience.

Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 5 months ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

Since it sounds like its happening to all your apple devices and computer it has to be something more broad and all over. Therefore try and reset the cache for the store buy trying this. Make sure you are signed into itunes with your apple id account.

1. In iTunes, choose iTunes > Preferences
  2. Click the Advanced tab.
  3. Click the "Reset cache" button.
  4. Click OK and see if the issue is resolved.

Usually if its not that then it could be some

Adjust Parental Controls in iTunes:

1. Open iTunes.
  2. Access iTunes preferences again:
    1. On a Mac: From the iTunes menu, choose Preferences.
    2. Click the Parental Controls tab.
    3. Remove restrictions on Parental Controls.

If its not that then it could be proxy settings, firewall, etc.

but since it is all your devices then it wouldn't just be your proxy on your computer on one device so I am thinking the best bet is the cache for the store.

Its got to be something with your airport or router ....one sec

Yes it has to be something with the network but I wouldn't think the airport extreme would block ports 80 and 443 which are for the itunes store. Some ISP block this due to not wanting their customers to have home servers.

Maybe if possible, a good test would be to try and plug into the WiMax modem directly with a network ethernet cable and unplug the airport so then your connected directly into the WiMax only. If the problem happens still you know its not the airport and its the WiMax.

If that is not an option to test, try this on the apple airport extreme. You want to make a check in "Enable NAT Port Mapping Protocol" under the internet section see pic attached. You will need to open airport utility on your mac to get to these settings for your airport.

This allows software on your devices to open ports as necessary so if it still doesn't work after that let me know but that would make me lean more toward your ISP blocking these ports. Let me know.

If I have helped in any way, please consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.

Jon
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast