Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Just connected the Mac Companion Hard Drive through both…

Customer Question
Just connected the Mac...

Just connected the Mac Companion Hard Drive through both firewire and UBS with a restart both times and the mac is not seeing it.

Technician's Assistant: Does the hard drive icon appear on your desktop?

No

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried accessing the drive on a different computer?

No, only one have other firewire backup that works fine

Technician's Assistant: Happy to help. Want a weekly JustAnswer email to help with other issues? If so, what's your email address? And if you'd still like to talk to the Computer Expert, I'll connect you shortly.

Customer:***@******.***

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Dont think so

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mac
11/23/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 4 months ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

First the easiest thing to try first is make sure your finder preferences are set to show external hard drives on your desktop. To do this do the following:

• Click in any empty space on your desktop
  • Click the "finder" word in the top left corner near the apple
  • click preferences
  • under general section, make sure there is a check in external drives

If that does not work, make sure the drives are still plugged in and open your mac's disk utility app. It is located in applications/utilities or you can do a search with the magnifying glass icon by your time clock. What ever is easiest for you to open disk utility.

Then see if disk utility recognizes any of your drives as if they are, you will notice the names of them in the left side menu. Let me know.

I also have a question on these drives. When was the last time they worked and do you need to save the information that is on them or can you reformat. We can always reformat of you can see them in disk utility but they just do not open.

Anyways let me now what happens so we can continue.

Thanks.

Just got this firewire drive and cannot format it if I cannot see it with the mac.
I only paid $55 for the firewire 2TB drive. Not worth a $39 look. thx

Please ignore any offers for remote assist as those are automated and not sent by me personally.

Thats why I took the time to type all those instructions out to see if you can "see" the drive. But for some reason you did not reply back with what happened or if you even tried anything I mentioned. :(

I am just trying to help.

I typed back. The drive is new to me and I have not been able to get it to connect to the computer. So, I dont think it will be reformatable without a connection.

The only thing else it could is that if your mac is running the new 10.13 High Sierra, it uses a new file system called APFS which you may need to convert your external drives to. Here is how.

Open Disk Utility, then select the drive you want to convert (your external drive). Go to Edit in the menu bar, and click on "Convert to APFS".

The process, depending on the size of your drive, will take only a couple of minutes, and once complete, the external drive will be running on the new APFS format.

There is a catch though.

Converting your hard drive to APFS means it won't be able to be read by Macs or PCs not running APFS drives, which is any computer that isn't running MacOS High Sierra.

all running high sierra but the drive is not recognizable by any computer so this is moot. Thx.

If its not the drive then that has failed have you already tried possibly the cord that comes with it. Some are USB to Mini usb or lighting.

Mike, Mac Medic