Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

It appears there is a problem to do with iCloud with

It appears there is...

It appears there is a problem to do with iCloud with messages being sent back and forth on a duplicated basis. i have spent over 2 hrs with Apple who suggest there is problem with "spooling" and I should contact you. I don't know what spooling is. Can you assist me please because it is costing me over $160 on my November Telstra account?

Technician's Assistant: What kind of Apple device do you have? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

An Apple Mac Air. Running on Apple Mail system.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Mac? What have you tried so far?

It looks as thought the problem started back in January this year as evidenced by my phone bill.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Not really, only want the downloading problem to be rectified.

11/23/2017
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius

Hi! I am Justin. Let me take a chance to look over your question. If you have any additional details please type it in and hit the reply to expert button.

That is odd that Apple could not help you with this. When I worked for Apple I solved this for many people.

You need to sign out of all devices and sign back in. This will resolve the issue. You will need to sign out of only iMessage.

Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius
I don't understand what spooling is but the problem seems to be iCloud is deciding randomly to send all the data held in the cloud back to me, then someway through this process it aborts. However Telstra is charging me for the data sent each time, which can be many times a day. This past month I was charged for 47GB.
Apple did this - sign out of the device - with me and it didn't work.
Can you clean out everything in my iCloud account so there is nothing there and then disconnect me completely from iCloud. If this works, my cost problem will be identified. If, then i can reconnect say in 4 weeks time with hopefully a perfect result?

Spooling it a BS term. So you are saying all of your devices that receive iMessages were signed out and signed back in and you kept getting repeats afterwards?

The only device signed out/back in was the Mac Air, and this in the internet account that Telstra is monitoring for the additional data charges. We have 2 mobiles but they are not connected to the internet.

Anything that is signed in to the affected account needs to be signed out of and signed back in in iMessages. Did you do that?

Sorry Justin, it was a 2 hr session with Apple trying all sorts of things. The techo signed in to my screen and directed everything.
I don't remember us going into iMessages, but can't be sure.
Let's proceed on the basis that Apple did not do with me what you think we should do now?
Justin, I'm getting emails from you but no latest response is appearing on the chat file.
I seem to have lost contact with you.
I have had further discussion with both Apple and Telstra techs since my initial contact with ***** ***** that disconnected before we had got to the core of my problem which is ........there is a gremlin of sorts in the system - Apple says it appears to be in the Gmail system - where virtually every day I use the computer it triggers an unwanted download of all my emails since going on to Gmail. When I send new emails it appears to stop the download and shows in the bottom left hand scorner of the screen the number of actual downloads out of ~ 3900. The downloads are measured by Telstra and substantially inflate data usage. This happens virtually every day. Because the download isn't completed, it starts up again and the data counted a second, third, fourth time, and so on.
I was referred to the Apple shift supervisor on 26 July who came on line with me and he prompted me on a number of procedures over a period of 1 hr and along the way he disconnected a Gmail application which is possibly the problem. After doing so, the Gmail system stopped repeating the email downloads.
Now it is not conclusive yet but looks very promising. I have checked with Telstra today and they advise the following data usage over the past 4 days. 24 July 4457MB, 25 July zero, 26 July 3122MB, 27 July 13 MB. It looks like I have be overcharged for ~7GB involving 2 days.
Unfortunately I cannot remember what exactly he disconnected, but what gave him the clue was that it was not connected on his personal Mac. I am to wait another 2-3 days then get the daily data usage from Telstra to confirm whether the cause has been correctly identified. Whichever outcome, I will keep you informed. If the problem still exists I will need your assistance to solve it. I think iCloud is involved somewhere along the line. This was definitely cut off during the long list of "what ifs" addressed.
Regards, Bruce ************

My apologies. I took some time off. I am back online. Would you like to continue now?

Sorry, I have been indisposed in hospital these past 3 days and unable to communicate with you. I can chat on line now.

Are all your devices still acting weird?

No, the internet is only connected to my Mac Air. The other devices have been unaffected. For billing, I have an aggregated data allocation involving all devices. 15GB for the Mac, %Gb each for 2 mobiles and !gb on a tablet, making 31GB in total. However Telstra says that over 90% of the data related to email and it has been discovered that the system is trying to download ~3900 emails numerous times a day, and this is being metered as Data. 47GB last month against allocation 31GB.
i have yet to confirm the latest data usage with Telstra. I will do that today. However it is possible that the adjustment implemented with Apple which ostensibly turned off some application to do with Gmail/iCloud had hd an effect.
Justin, contact with you is not working. We are getting nowhere. I believe I have an iCloud problem that will need Gmail assistance to rectify.
Can you contact me by phone please? My number is(###) ###-#### At an approx pre-determined time to talk my problem through??
If you aren't the right person to deal with an iCloud or system problem at Gmail, should you pass me to the appropriate person?
Hi Justin,I am currently at my desk and will be so for the most part of today.
I find the Just Answer chat system doesn’t work for me. Can we communicate by email or over the phone please? My mobile is 0429 393 195.This is where we are at. Apple have disconnected iCloud on my Mac and as a consequence I cannot receive the unwanted downloads that are boosting my data usage to massive levels. One problem solved. However it means I cannot use iCloud at all unless Google/Gmail can find out what is setting off the downloads, and rectify it. This is where I need your help. Apple have run a check on all the settings on my Mac, and everything seems to be working properly from their perspective.Can you inform me what normally activates a download required from iCloud? Is it possible it can only happen with a command from the Apple operating system? When I make a request on my Mac to download something, do I have to physically go through the Google website? Do you have any thoughts on how we can deal with my problem?Can we have a chat today after 1pm EDST re these questions please?Kind regards, ***** *****

You have written a lot of words that come together in a lot of not explaining your issue.

iCloud and Google are not the same at all. Why do you feel as though they are linked?

I have been told that Google and iCloud are both owned by Microsoft. If that's wrong or irrelevant let me know. I am looking for a solution - how to stop emails being downloaded from iCloud when not physically requested by me. If I shouldn't be talking to you, who would you suggest holds the keys to my request?

So wrong.

Google is google and iCloud is Apple

It sounds like you just need to disable push and turn fetch on. This will only fetch mail when you want to get it.

How do I do that? What are the steps?

We need to do it by device. Which device would you like to start with?

The Mac Air.
Justin,
Reference emaIL 9/12 from James at Customer Service.
If I still need assistance with the issue/problem i will come back to you by the end of the month.
Regards, *****

Sorry for the delay. I am back in the office. Are you still looking for assistance?