Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 15' 250 gb ssd. My ssd has a 4,29 gb…

Mid 2010 MacBook Pro...

Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 15' 250 gb ssd. My ssd has a 4,29 gb container that says VM how do I remove it and use that space

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your MacBook Pro?

10.13.1

Technician's Assistant: Did the application come with an uninstaller, either on the installation disc or in the application's folder on your Mac?

I bought it used and did an inter restore to 10.13.0 I don't have VM ware

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I frequently get kernel panic restarts, I have removed all non compatible software, run EtreCheck and Clean my Mac in the last hour but nothing has removed the container partition. I don't mind erasing the drive and restoring a fresh OS if needed

11/22/2017
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

Some options

Option 1:

You can just open the Disk Utility(applications/utilities) app on your mac and on the left side menu you will see the VM partition which you can choose erase on the right hand side

Option 2:

If you decide you want to erase everything and completely erase all data and partitions you can do the following which does this:

You can try to boot into whats called "recovery mode":

1. Restart your mac
  2. immediately hold down command and R on your keyboard
  3. If done correctly you should get to a main menu
  4. choose "Disk Utility"
  5. On the left side menu, click/choose your primary hard drive which is by default called "Macintosh HD"
  6. Then Choose the VM partition as well if needed to erase.
  7. Then on the right side menu, choose "erase"
  8. Wait for the process to finish
  • Once that is done then close disk utility, which will take you back to the main menu
  • Choose to "reinstall OS"

Then just follow the onscreen instructions and you will be all set.

Let me know if you need help along the way.

If I have helped in any way, please consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.

OK I tied erasing the VM container and can't do it. My Macintosh HD is I n the Container. So I will Do a Wipe and restore. I tried erasing the partition using a couple of terminal commands but that didn't work. I was hoping I could eliminate that container without a full restore but it now seems obvious that that is the only way. Thanks for your help.

It could be that trying to erase the drive in recovery mode may remove the VM separately from the primary HD since you will be boot into the recovery mode partion of the mac. If it doesn't work you always have the option to erase it all like you said which is probably the better move anyways since its a used mac anyways. Now it will be yours like you just purchased it brand new. :0

Please still consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name. Thank you for your time.

Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Did you still need help? Were you able to try the instructions I previously posted for you regarding the erasing the drive within recovery mode? Just want to make sure all is good, please still consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

Happy Holidays!