Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My dad gave my son his iPhone 4s for something to play with…

Customer Question
My dad gave my...

My dad gave my son his iPhone 4s for something to play with on the wifi but its locked with his email and he has no clue what the address or password *****

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iPhone 4s?

I don't know is on a screen that saids activation lock

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your iPhone 4s? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Did not buy and I tried a hard reset

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/21/2017
Mac Support Specialist: AnswersByEric, Computer Support Specialist replied 7 months ago
AnswersByEric
AnswersByEric, Computer Support Specialist

Hi! I'm Eric and I will be the expert assisting you today. I'll do all I can to provide you with excellent, 5-Star service. While I take a moment to read over your question, please read the following:

• Offers you see for Remote Assistance or Phone Calls are not me recommending them, it is this website. I am more than happy to accept your request for one, but you don't have to.
  • Please keep this browser open. If you close it, open your email to find links back to this question.
  • I will keep helping you until you're satisfied, please ask as many follow up questions as you need by replying below

Alright, well, you're going to need to reset your device to factory settings in order to get back in, if you don't know the password/PIN, etc.

You need to have iTunes installed, if you don't have it, click here to get it. Please take two seconds to rate my service before you leave today at the top of this page or I am not credited with my assistance. It is my service you are rating and nothing else. If you feel my service has been anything but excellent, or you have follow up questions, please let me know before rating :)

1. Connect your iPhone device to your computer and open iTunes.
  2. While your device is connected, force restart it:
    • Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the recovery-mode screen.
  3. When you see the option to Restore or Update on the computer, in iTunes, choose Restore.
    iTunes will download software for your device. If it takes more than 15 minutes, your device will exit recovery mode and you'll need to repeat steps 2 and 3.
  4. Wait for the process to finish. Then you can setup and use your device as if it was brand new.

If you have any trouble with the steps, use the reply feature below to ask me for help. If not, please don't forget to rate my service to you at the top of this page :)

It is telling me that the phone is linked to a apple I'd and needs used to setup the phone

Yes, that's why you need to force the reboot when it is connected to a computer that has iTunes running.

If you follow the steps, you will see a Recovery Mode icon on your iPhone, and iTunes on your PC/Mac will ask you if you want to Recover or Update, and you need to choose Recover.

I don't know the apple I'd so it will not let me log in

It won't let you log into what, iTunes on your PC, or the iPhone?

The phone/iTunes I don't have any of the information "email address or password"

Ok, if you did NOT already follow the steps above to reset the phone, then do so, you do not need the info, that is the point of the instructions, so you can reset the phone. If you already have, then you need to create a NEW Apple ID to use on the phone as it is brand new again.

But, again, you need to follow the steps above exactly, as once you do, the iPhone will act like it was turned on for the first time, and you can "set it up" for a new user.

If you don't think you have followed the steps correctly, and can't figure out what you're doing wrong, watch this video I have and it will walk you through it. When you're done though, please don't forget to come rate my service to you at the top of this page :)

I watched that video and another about the iCloud lock and that no matter what I need the email address and password

When the phone is plugged in to the computer, and itunes is running, are you holding down the correct buttons to reboot into the recovery mode? Do you ever see the recovery mode? If not, then that is where it is failing. Once you get into recovery mode, you don't need ANYTHING, as the phone resets itself.