Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Newest iPad iOS update has made my Brushes app not work.

Customer Question
Using Brushes Redux is frustrating...
Newest iPad iOS update has made my Brushes app not work. Using Brushes Redux is frustrating me. I've chosen black as the brush color, but it comes out light gray regardless of what I do. Opacity is 100%, so it's not that.
JA: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iPad?
Customer: 11.1.2
JA: When did you purchase your iPad? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It's a couple of years old. Have tried new painting-- same problem.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Mac
11/21/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 19 days ago
Kris R
Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi
Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
How long has this been happening?
Thanks
Kris

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Haven't used app since last update.
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 19 days ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

First I would try and do the following:

Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.

And then try the app again.

If that doesn't help, you can try and uninstall the app by holding your finger down on the app icon and wait for the app to "shake" and a little "x" will appear in the top left corner of the app icon for you to touch to delete. Then you can search "Brushes Redux" in the app store to re-download.

If that does not work, it could be that the version of iOS is not supported and may need to wait for an update to happen.

Also, if you have backed up your iphone to either icloud or itunes just recently before this issue occurred, you could always try and restore your iphone with that particular backup and it will put the phone back to the way it was at that time.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
None of these are the answer to the problem as it exists when downloaded to a different device. I need someone who knows about this specific program, not someone just giving generic advice. Is there such a person there?
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Or someone who downloads the program (it's free) and figures out what I'm doing wrong.
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 18 days ago
You did not mention that the issue you were having was happening on multiple devices. That is why you got the answer you did. Now that you mention this, you are correct as the fixes before would not fix this issue. However, I did download this app myself and when I choose black for the brush, your right, one swipe with the brush and it looks light gray. The only time you can get a more black color is when you swipe on top of the same stroke a couple times over. The more you go over it the more it turns pure black. Does that not happen for you?
Also I found that there are 2 places that you can change the Opacity. You can change it from where you pick the color which is where I’m assuming you mentioned that you have it @ 100% but there is another place to do this as well. I noticed after you choose the color black and make sure the Opacity is 100% there. Then go to the main painting area. Then at the bottom right corner there is an icon that looks like 2 squares cascading each other with possibly a number. Touch this icon and there is another Opacity slider to adjust, which make sure that is all the way 100% as well. Because when I changed this one to less then 100% it always stayed gray no matter what.I hope this was it as it sounds like it should be. If so please still consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name. If not, let me know what happened so I can see if I can further assist.Thanks
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Well, you correctly identified the problem, but didn't figure out how to fix it. I give you points for trying, lol. The opacity toggle in the lower right is for the entire layer (useful for tracing, which is what I use the app for). The other is for the brush stroke itself.

YEs but are you sure that all the layers have the opacity are all the way to 100%. Could also be that the layer you are trying to draw on is in the number 2 layer while the number one layer has the lower opacity percentage which will look like the black is gray in this case.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
If you have just 1 layer at 100% with the brush at 100%, sadly the result is light gray.
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
OK, I figured it out. When you bring up the Brushes menu, touch the word "Edit" above the current brush. There are a number of settings such as intensity, etc. that were not at 100%. Changing those fixed the problem.
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 17 days ago

Glad you got it working! Good job.

Jon
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast