Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I am trying to connect my Samsung SE S084 DVD writer to my…

Customer Question
Hi I am trying...

Hi I am trying to connect my Samsung SE S084 DVD writer to my Mac., but it's not seeing it. I'm pretty sure I've been able rot do this in the past.....

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the model of your Mac, and what operating system are you running?

IMac late 2012 macOS Sierra Version 10.12.6

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your iMac? What troubleshooting have you tried?

2012 Tried to download drivers from https://www.techspot.com/drivers/downloadnow/14506/?evp=7e8c4b0e9ff44a90e87b434842f8cd67&file=1

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Mac
11/21/2017
Mac Support Specialist: David, Mac Support Specialist replied 5 months ago
David, Mac Support Specialist

Hi my name is ***** ***** to JustAnswer. I am reviewing your question and will post a reply ASAP.

Please click the Apple in the top-left, and then click on 'About This Mac'.

Then click on the 'System Report...' button, and click USB on the left.

Do you see any USB devices/information there?

Thanks in advance.

Think so, yes - not quite sure what Im looking for here...

Any code or reference to Samsung SE S084 DVD writer?

No not that I can see...

Hi, do you see any other USB devices?

It could be just the DVD drive, or all USB devices. Can you check with a known working one, then click File -> Refresh Information, in the System Utility App.

Please also try these steps:

Shut down the iMac.

Disconnect all device, and plug the iMac out of the power socket.

Wait 5 minutes.

Connect up just the power, and then press the power button to start the iMac.

Next check your USB device.

This is resetting the SMC.

If it does nothing, let me know and I will give you steps for resetting PRAM.

I have other things in USB ports and they are working OK... will try shutting down

If that SMC resetting doesn't resolve the issue, then we can try the PRAM steps, but it looks like the problem is specific to the DVD writer. Even a USB device that doesn't have software installed for it should appear in System Information.app

You should check all the cabling with the DVD write. This kind of thing is usually a power issue, so check if it needs it's own power supply.

Make sure you are not using a hub, directly connect the DVD writer.

PRAM steps are well explained here. It can be tricky to get right first time but when you get it right you hear two consecutive startup chimes.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

Let me know if you have any questions regarding the device, or the steps. Also if you can check it on a different Mac.

Ok still not having any luck. Definitely doesn't need its own power supply. Will check with another cable
It must be seeing it somehow, as it just told me I'd inserted a disc
Under Disc burning, it saysTSSTcorp CDDVDW SE-S084C:Firmware Revision: TS01
Interconnect: USB
Burn Support: Yes (Generic Drive Support)
Profile Path: None
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RAM, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media:
Type: CD-R
Blank: Yes
Erasable: No
Overwritable: Yes
Appendable: Yes
Write Speeds: 10x, 16x, 20x, 24x
SE-S084 is the name of the Samsung unit

Ok, but it doesn't show in Finder?

Have you tried Finder -> Preferences -> Sidebar.

Check there and make sure everything is selected.

How did you burn discs before, was it from certain software?

You can try /Applications/Disk Utility.app to see if the blank disc appears there too.

Let me know if you have any questions or if the issue is resolved, thank you in advance.

David, Mac Support Specialist