Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Loaded os 10.6.8 now tils me names do not match, cant use…

Customer Question
Loaded os 10.6.8 now...

Loaded os 10.6.8 now tils me names do not match, cant use safrie, can.t update

Technician's Assistant: What's the model and Operating System (OS) of your device?

Imax 24" 10.6.8 serial # vm8220nsze4

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your Apple device? What troubleshooting have you tried?

I had disks here from years agi looking for Key chain it tells me is wrong

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Mac
11/20/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Justin Johnson, Mac Genius replied 5 months ago
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius

Hi! I am Justin. Let me take a chance to look over your question. If you have any additional details please type it in and hit the reply to expert button.

This operating system is quite old, but it will work on most sites. The safari version for this computer may or may not work for every site. Can you use Google Chrome?

downloading update stopped , got this computer without a hdd , had a 320 hdd here formatted it had disk from a 20 in apple got it about 10 years ago the disk came with it , 2 load disks 1 snow leopard sealed ,every thing works but cant use safari model is A1225, cant get livepage.apple.com . safari -can't verify the indentity of the website , it is a hobby , don,t mind fooling around with it , I am 77 years old bored out of my mind, need something to do

The part where it cannot verify the identity is due to HTTPS. Your computer cannot understand HTTPS with Safari. I suggest downloading Google Chrome as it will work.

Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 5 months ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Unfortunately, you wont even able to download the latest version of google chrome either because it requires at least MacOS 10.9 or higher so 10.6.8 will not be able to do it. Also, no matter what browser you use you will always run into this issue and many others. The problem is not the computer per say but just the old outdated MacOS version it is currently running.

You will not be able to use the most current browser on your mac unless you upgrade the entire MacOS. Which if your MacOS is outdated that that could mean your hardware is also to out of date to run the most recent OS.

So therefore, you may need to settle for at least installing 10.9 MacOS but unless you have downloaded it before within the app store, you can not currently download it as Apple only offers the most recent in the app store which is 10.13 MacOS High Sierra. However, there is a hidden link to 10.11 El Capitan.

You can always create a bootable flash drive if you know someone that still runs MacOS 10.9 Mavericks on their mac. BUt that takes time and is very rare that someone is even still using that version. Therefore the best thing to try and do is the following:

1. ON your mac click this link https://itunes.apple.com/app/os-x-el-capitan/id1147835434?mt=12
  2. Hopefully it takes you to the place to download 10.11 El Capitan. You will see a download button if so.
  3. It will tell you if this can not be run on your system due to hardware
  4. If it lets you continue, download this and wait until its done downloaded.
  5. Then click continue and follow the onscreen instructions with the El Capitan 10.11 installer

If you are able to get 10.11 installed you will be years ahead of your current 10.6 version which also means the most recent versions of all internet browsers will be possible to try which will help take care of all your internet issues. I am currently on 10.11 myself so I can tell you I have had no issues and I am the most recent version of google chrome.

Let me know what happens with the El Capitan link. I can always remote into your mac if your current browser allows me to. Let me know.

Did you still need help? Were you able to try the instructions I previously posted for you? If all is good, please still consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

Jon
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast