Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I am trying to do a mail merge on Microsoft Word using an…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to do a mail merge on Microsoft Word using an .xls spreadsheet from Excel. I have done this many times before without issue, but now I keep getting a "Word was unable to open the data source" error message when I click "get list" then "open data source" in the mail merge menu.

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, how often have you been getting this particular message?

Every time I try. I have reentered the data manually in a new spreadsheet thinking maybe by cutting and pasting I was involving some formatting I was unaware of. It happens every time.

Technician's Assistant: What's the model and Operating System (OS) of your device?

Imac late-2015 Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.1

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your iMac? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Just recreating the spreadsheet and restarting word and my computer. I also tried renaming the spreadsheet as a csv, but I got the same error message

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Word is version 12.3.6 Word 2008 How does this help system work?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mac
11/20/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Justin Johnson, Mac Genius replied 8 months ago
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius

Hi! I am Justin. Let me take a chance to look over your question. If you have any additional details please type it in and hit the reply to expert button.

I can help you with remote support.

No, I don't want to spend the extra money.

Can you open the data source ie excel file in excel?

This is the guide that should resolve what you are dealing with.

None of those are for Word 2008