Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I received message for new macOS High Sierra but can't

Customer Question
I received message...

I received message for new macOS High Sierra but can't remember my administrator password. Can you help me

Technician's Assistant: When did you last reset your username and password?

Again don;t remember must have been sometime ago

Technician's Assistant: What's the model of your Apple device (e.g. MacBook, iMac, iPhone, iPad, etc.)?

Macbook pro

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your Macbook? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Purchased 7/16 nothing really

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I dont think so

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mac
11/19/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 7 months ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What version of macOS are you using ?

The one available when I purchased not sure El capitan?
it might have been high sierra

You can reset the password ***** booting into Mac OS Utilities screen. First go to System Preferences select iCloud. Scroll down on the right and if the Keychain option is turned on, then turn it off.

Then follow the steps below to reset the password.

Turn off your Mac.

Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 10 seconds.

This will boot your Mac to "Mac OS Utilities” menu.

Click on the “Utilities” menu in top bar and select “Terminal".

Type (without space) --> resetpassword

Press return. This will bring Reset Password ***** Select the hard disk at top column, select the user account from the drop down under it, confirm the user account and then change password ***** Save. Then click on the Apple icon and select Shutdown.

Turn it back on. After restarting, if you get any message about Keychain then click Create New Keychain.

If you are still getting keychain error, then reset the keychain access database. Follow the steps below to reset Keychain;

In Finder, hold down Option key on your keyboard, click on Go menu at the top bar and select Library. This will open Library folder. Trash Keychain folder in there and restart your Mac.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

This is taking to long, never mind i will take to genius bar tomorrow

I've already sent the answer 15 minutes ago. Did you not get it ?

It wasn't working when I held down R & command together nothing happened

Turn it off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command, Option and R keys for 20 seconds. Does it boot into any screen ?

when I hold command and R at same time nothing happens.

But did you try Command, Option and R keys at same time ? This is different and are the option to load internet recovery