Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Is there a way to keep messages on my iPhone but not have it…

Customer Question
Is there a way...

Is there a way to keep messages on my iPhone but not have it available on my computer?

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iPhone?

Checking . I have to do passwords It's all upgraded hang on please

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your iPhone? What troubleshooting have you tried?

It is an iphone7 with iOS 11.1.1

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mac
11/18/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Karthik, Mac Enthusiast replied 8 months ago
Karthik
Karthik, Mac Enthusiast

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Before we proceed further, I would like to ask you few question about this problem. Could you please tell me what type of message you are trying to keep in your iPhone?

I messaging fir text
Isn’t any text in iPhone an iMessage?
Basically I just want to text from my phone and not use iPad or laptop or computer for messaging
I share my computet

Yes, You can enable the iMessage service in your iPhone, iMessage lets you send and receive SMS-like text messages, and MMS-style multimedia messages just like a phone. Instead of a just a phone number, however, it uses your email address, and it only works with other Apple devices, like other iPads, iPhones, iPod touches, and Macs. Before you can start using messages, and sending texts, photos, videos, voice memos, locations, and contact cards, however, you need to set it up. You can enable the iMessage by following steps

1. Launch the Setting app on your iPhone or iPad.
  2. Tap on Messages.
  3. Turn iMessage to On and wait for it to activate.

Once iMessage activates you can send and receive texts and multimedia messages with other Apple users just like SMS and MMS! These instructions work for times when you need to re-activate iMessage as well due to a network error. Just toggle it on and off and you should be good to go!

I already have it on my phone!!
I want to delete it from everything else because I share other devices
How do I disconnect on computer, laptop etc?? But keep texts running on my phone?

You can turn off the iMessage in your iPhone by

1. Launch Settings from the Home screen of your iPhone.
  2. Tap Messages.
  3. Tap the slider next to iMessage to turn it off.

Could you please let me what is the operating system of the computer?

But will I still be able to send and receive test messages on my phone?
Text messages

Yes, you can send and receive normal message in your phone. You are only disabling the iMessage service from your phone.

This is NOT working.
I want to receive and send messages ONLY from phone. NOTHING ELSE.
What do I need to disable messages being available and popping up on my COMPUTER

High Sierra
But I don’t want it on laptop either
Nothing but phone
Will it look like the same green icon that I use now?

Can you give a try in your Mac computer for deactivating the iMessage. You can turn it on or off for Messages and FaceTime on your Mac.

1. Open Messages or FaceTime. If asked, sign in with the Apple ID you're using with Messages and FaceTime on your iPhone.
  2. In Messages, choose Messages > Preferences, then click Accounts and select your iMessage account. In FaceTime, choose FaceTime > Preferences, then click Settings.
  3. Turn your phone number off
    • To turn off your phone number, deselect it in the list.
I unchecked my phone number and it’s still available in messages in my computer
Should uncheck iCloud
my two other emails?
Or should I keep the phone number and uncheck my emails?

You can uncheck the phone as well email so you cannot your using iMessage in the computer.

Ill try. What about unchecking mms and sms? What is that about?

SMS is normal text message and MMS is Multimedia message like picture. You can uncheck them too.

From computer but not phone, correct?

Like you said, You need to deactivate the iMessage in the computer. So the answer is yes.

I’m sending a test message on phone to see if it pops up on comiuter

Sure, that's a nice idea. check if that works

It’s not off and I’ve spent an hour with you. You don’t know what you are doing.

I tried my level best but unfortunately, I am unable to give you a quick solution. In this case I will opt-out and allow another expert to take over. Other experts will be able to see this question and the conversation which you had with me and they will be providing you a proper solution. Thank you for your patience.

What is mms messaging? Should turn that off on phone to keep messages off computer? Thus can’t be as confusing as it seems
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 8 months ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

You should leave your phone alone if you want to receive messages on your phone. All you need to do to turn off messages on your phone is do the following.

• Open the messages app on your computer
  • Click the messages word in the corner of the screen
  • click preferences
  • click accounts
  • select and delete your apple id account that is the same as your phone. This only deletes from the messages app.
  • You may need to enter your password ***** it asks.

Let me know how that goes, I can always provide remote support into your computer if needed

If I have helped in any way, please consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.