Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I installed a new G drive on my new Mac Pro 20 on a USB port…

Customer Question
I installed a new...

I installed a new G drive on my new Mac Pro 20 on a USB port days ago and it has not done a backup. A message says a connection to electricity is required but my MAC has been plugged into an outlet the whole time. What now?

Technician's Assistant: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?

I have had a MAC for many years but this MAC is about a month old.

Technician's Assistant: What's the model and Operating System (OS) of your device?

Mac Pro 15" Sierra 10.12.6

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your Apple device? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Purchased new about a month ago. We have had some problems with a curser that won't disappear and the computer wont turn itself into sleep mode. Also had some problem with an unauthorized user but Apple discovered and erased that from the system

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

No that's it.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mac
11/18/2017
Mac Support Specialist: syseng, Systems Engineer replied 8 months ago
syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

The symptoms you describe indicate that an SMC reset may resolve the issue. To perform the reset, first shut down your Mac. Next, press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the built-in keyboard and press the power button at the same time. Hold these keys and the power button for 10 seconds.
Note that if you have a MacBook Pro with Touch ID, the Touch ID button is also the power button.
After pressing the keys together for 10 seconds, release all keys.
Press the power button again to turn on your Mac and test to see if the issue is resolved.

Please let me know the result.

Thanks,

David.

Do you still need assistance?

Sorry but your solution did not work...result was I can no longer identify the G drive on my system. I plan to take my Mac to the Apple store for assistance. Also, I have not had good luck in the past with people I don't know well connecting to my system and so do not want to take a chance on that. Thanks.

Yes, the remote assistance offer is an automated message from the Just Answer system that can be ignored.

If the Apple Store is not able to help, you can come back to this question thread to continue as there are other solutions I can recommend that may resolve the issue.