Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I am unable to send emails from iPhone and ipad. Tds.net.

Customer Question
I am unable to...

I am unable to send emails from iPhone and ipad

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what email service provider are you using?

Tds.net

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

Not that I know

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

I called tds and could not get it to work

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Mac
I have been waiting for 30 min. Are you there?
11/17/2017
Mac Support Specialist: GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist replied 5 months ago
GeekGal
GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist

Good morning. My name is*****'m sorry that you're having this trouble and I'm sorry that you've had to wait. . It would be my pleasure to assist you. Please give me just a moment to review the details of your question.

In order to best help, I'll need to ask a few questions. First, what app or you using for the tds email account? Are you using the built-in Apple Mail App (blue icon with white envelope) or are you using something else?

I don't know much about Apple products will have tell me how to find the answer.
Talk

Please walk me through the process of how you are trying to send and receive email. Are you clicking on the built-in Apple Mail App (blue icon with white envelope) or are you doing something else?

I press the mail icon on the screen,press box with pencil,address, type message, press send. Message comes up cannot send mail user name or password ***** SMTP***@******.*** @ smtp.gmail.com is incorrect
Do I have two servers on?

It does sounds as though you do. DO you have both a gmail address and the tds.net email account?

No just tds

Ok. Thank you for that information. Would you be willing to delete the account and set it up all over again from scratch?

I don't know why the gmail is on

Ok. Thank you, ***** ***** me just a moment to type up detailed instructions.

Please do the following on both your iphone and your ipad.

Tap Settings > Mail > Accounts. Select the email account you wish to delete and tap Delete Account, then tap Delete From My iPhone. ( or deelte from my iPad if on iPad). Please give this a try and let me know when you're done, or if you run into any issues. I will get started typing up instructions for re-adding the account properly.

It says incoming mail server. Host name Mail.tds.net.
Outgoing server. SMTP. mail.tds.net

To re-add the account please do the following:

1. Tap Settings
  2. Note: This step may vary depending upon the iOS version on your phone. Either tap Mail, Contacts, Calendars or tap Accounts and Passwords.
  3. Tap Other
  4. Tap Account
  5. Enter your name, and your complete TDS email address (ex:***@******.***). Next, enter your TDS Email password ***** enter a description (ex: JSmith's TDS email).
  6. Tap Next
  7. Enter the following information for Incoming Mail Server:
    • Host Name: Your full TDS email address (ex.***@******.***)
    • Username: Your full TDS email address (ex.***@******.***)
    • Password: Your TDS Email password
  8. Enter the following information for Outgoing Mail Server:
  • Host Name: mail.tds.net
  • Username: Your full TDS email address (ex:***@******.***

Now tap NEXT and then SAVE.

Your incoming mail server should be your full email address (ex.***@******.***). The outgoing email server is correct (mail.tds.net)

Incoming mail server. Host name. Mail.tds.net
User Name is***@******.*** ( my email address)
Outgoing mail.tds.net
do I change the host name?

Yes please. I just double-checked my instructions as that is it a bit unusual for the host name to be an email address, but it's what TDS says to use. . Please click the following link to reference their instructions:

https://tdstelecom.com/support/email/device-setup-iphone.html

At the top of that page there is a link to a video that will guide you through setup. below the link you will find the same settings that I provided earlier.

Message came up.
The IMAP server "*****@******.***"is not responding Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the incoming Mail Server field

Ahhh...Thank you for that information. Settings for IMAP email are different than for POP email. The instructions provided by TDS for setting up mail on an iPhone do not say mention using IMAP. I truly believe that the best way to fix the problem is to remove the account and re-add it form scratch following either the instructions that I typed out or the instructions available at the link that I provided.

Ok

If you prefer to use IMAP, here are the Incoming server settings:

• Email Address: Your full TDS email address
  • Username: Your full TDS email address
  • Password: Your TDS email password
  • IMAP Server: mail.tds.net
  • Security Type: SSL
  • Port: 993

The outgoing settings are as follows:

• SMTP Server: mail.tds.net
  • Security Type: TLS
  • Port: 587
  • Username: Your full TDS email address
  • Password: Your TDS email password

Note: You'll need to ensure that Require sign-in has a checkmark in it

Also, please be aware that is not the recommended setup by TDS for an iPhone.

Security type: SSL? I don't see this
Also should it say IMAP server?
I have SMTP
Sorry the out going is SMPT

You will only see that if you decide to set up the account using IMAP settings It's not the recommended method.

SMTP is what you should have.

Did you remove the accoutn from your iPhone and your iPad? If not, please do. Here's how:

After password. I then see. Outgoing

After you have removed it, please click the following link to reference their instructions:

The outgoing settings are as follows:

• SMTP Server: mail.tds.net
  • Security Type: TLS
  • Port: 587
  • Username: Your full TDS email address
  • Password: Your TDS email password
I am lost on the deleting.
Is that iCloud. Under accounts it has iCloud. iCloud Drive contacts and 7 more
On accounts when I tap***@******.***. I have IMAP
Still have not deleted anything.
Just deleted am email account

Press the home button on your phone to get back to the home screen From the home screen, tap Settings, then Mail, then Accounts. You shoudl see your email account(s) listed now. If you don't see them at first, please scroll all the way to the bottom to look. Let me know if you still don't see them. If you do see your email account, tap to Select it and then tap Delete Account, then tap Delete From My iPhone. ( or delete from my iPad if on iPad). Please give this a try and keep me posted.

Wonderful! Now you can re-add it properly. Please click the following link to reference official instructions from TDS. :

At the top of that page there is a link to a video that will guide you through setup. Below the link you will find the same settings that I provided earlier. Please try to follow them and let me know if yo run into any issues or have questions.

On accounts iCloud is there I deleted my tds account.
On add accounts there is a list. Tds is not listed
I went through instructions. I think it saved. Didn't say save it Saint done.
Said done
I just tried to send a email. It says a copy has been placed in outbox. The connection to server failed.

I am terribly sorry but I am out of ideas. I am opting out of the question in the hopesthat another expert may be able to help you. The next expert will see ourentire conversation, so there will be no need to repeat anything. You will benotified by email when another expert has begun working on your question. Thankyou for your patience.

Can they text?
Mac Support Specialist: Justin Johnson, Mac Genius replied 5 months ago
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius

Hi! I am Justin. Let me take a chance to look over your question. If you have any additional details please type it in and hit the reply to expert button.

Let me look over your question. I want to verify again that you are able to send emails from the web? Like you can sign in to tds.com and check your email on another computer.

Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius