Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Many, but not all, of my pdf's created w/ preview now show,

Customer Question
Many, but not all...

Many, but not all, of my pdf's created w/ preview now show, black pages when opened, even though the "Cover flow" shows a complete image of the PDF. Furthermore, if I shrink the file to minimum, I can see all of the pages, although they are too small to read. If I open the file using Adobe's PDF Reader, the pdf's open correctly. Using "Cover Flow" to select the pdf, it disappears in the "Cover Flow" window, although the listed file is selectable, but when opened, again each page is total black (the thumbnails, do show the pdf's images correctly.

Technician's Assistant: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you running?

Sorry, I accidently hit return before being done. I'm using MacOS High Sierra version 10.13.1 on a MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7. Serial Number C)2H30T2DV10. Thanks

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

Yes, the latest version of MacOS High Sierra; I keep my software update

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Restarting Preview, Program & rebooting computer & looking online for solutions. Again, virtually all of my PDF's were created with Preview; some PDF's work fine when opened w/ Preview & others do not.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Oh, if I print the "Blank" pdf's, the print correctly.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mac
11/15/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Bhavik Joshi, Computer Software Engineer replied 8 months ago
Bhavik Joshi
Bhavik Joshi, Computer Software Engineer

Hi, I'm Bhavik. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will reply back ASAP.

This generally happens because of antivirus programs. Did you install any antivirus program recently ?

No
Please remember: Preview works with many pdf's & Adobe Reader will open all pdf's.

Do you have multiple accounts like guest, admin etc. Did you try switching to those account and see if other user account on your machine are also having same problem?

my guest account has the same problem.

ok.

Did you try safe mode ?

Start or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key. The Apple logo appears on your display.

Release the Shift key when you see the login window. If your startup disk is encrypted with FileVault, you might be asked to log in twice: once to unlock the startup disk, and again to log in to the Finder.

To leave safe mode, restart your Mac without pressing any keys during startup.

previously safe started my computer & the problem still exists with some of the pdf's--but again not all.
Mac Support Specialist: Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 8 months ago
Kris R
Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi

Do you still need some help here?

Thanks

Kris

thanks.

OK - to allow me to connect to your PC/MAC, you must install remote access software. The software is below, use the "Family and Friends" version. It's free.
CLICK HERE
Once installed I need the ID and Password ***** displays, i do not need the one you created, I am looking for the one that TeamViewer gives you when you open the program.

There is no charge for this remote service, you have already been billed for the depoist and question
Thanks
Kris

I would prefer not to do a Secure Remote Assistance; If you are unable to diagnose the problem without doing so, I would prefer that you refund my payment & I will seek help elsewhere. Thanks you.

It is up to you - I have been informed it's free this one time (but your other charges still apply)

Let me know and If you want we can continue without it

Thanks
Kris

let's continue without it. Thanks. attached is a sample file, which opens w/ Adobe Reader, but not Apple's "Preview" program.

What version of OSX is this?

I'm using MacOS High Sierra version 10.13.1 on a MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7. There's more information at the start of this conversation. Please refer to it. Thank you.
I look forward to receiving your email. Thanks
Mac Support Specialist: syseng, Systems Engineer replied 8 months ago
syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

Try opening a PDF in the preview program again and if the PDF document appears black, resize the preview window to view the PDF document and please let me know the result.

Thanks,

David.

Do you still need assistance?