Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have received an email saying that there was a problem…

I have received an...

I have received an email saying that there was a problem with my account information. They want me to update account information including login password, ss number, address, phone numbers, etc. I am very uncomfortable with this. HOw do I know it is not someone stealing my information? Is there anyway I can verify that this is indeed apple? They say my ICloud data will be lost if I do not follow through with this update.

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried having password ***** directions emailed to you?

Not recently. I have done that before.

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

Yes, but I don’t remember what they were.

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

I don’t know what to try. I am afraid to type all that information in on an email without some assurance that this is a genuine email.

11/14/2017
Viet - Mac Tech
Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech

I'm sorry about the issue. That is certainly a fake email message. It is a scam, so please do not follow any instructions in it; please do not provide them information. Apple and any legitimate company will never ask you to provide personal information or sensitive account information (such as passwords, SS number, or credit card numbers) via email. As long as your email and device are working, then you are fine. Please always ignore any email message or phone call that you do not know or that you are not expecting.

- Do you have any further question? And/or do you need help with anything else today?
Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you.

Thanks

You're welcome. If you need help with anything else, please come back any time. Also, can you please take a moment to rate my service today by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top of this page, then click on Submit on the right. Thank you very much,

Viet - Mac Tech
Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech